Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Timing cover oil leak

DMolyneaux
11-11-2012, 05:50 PM
I replaced the timing gears and chain on my 87 LeSabre V6. Engine started fine (finally) but I never got oil pressure. On re-inspection I found a MAJOR oil leak in the vicinity of the oil pump (unfortunately I cannot see the spot without removing the wheel and inspection cover, ran out of daylight). Oil is flowing out as if under pressure. Would a missing bolt possibly create that big of a leak? Could there be anything else I missed?

Tech II
11-12-2012, 04:21 PM
Have to be more specific where the leak is......the oil pump is in the front cover.....did you fill the pump with petroleum jelly prior to installing the front cover?

DMolyneaux
11-13-2012, 04:47 AM
Leak seems to be at the pump, cannot really see it but it is a major flow of oil. After pulling the wheel and inner cover I DO see a missing bolt just above the pump.
No, I did not prime the pump with petroleum jelly, I did fill the new filter with oil before installing. With the amount of oil flow (leaking) I think it is safe to say that the pump primed itself, oil is just pumping out rather than gaining pressure.

Add your comment to this topic!