Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

installing altenator please help!

roper1
10-12-2012, 09:41 PM
I recently bought another 97 Geo (my old geo finally died) but it did not have an altenator and I had to go buy one. It is the 4 cylinder auto. Anyway, the long bolt was still on the bottom (I call it the C bracket) my question is I know there are washers involved and do you have two on the inside of the bracket or are the on the outside? At least for the long bolt one in front of the head of the bolt and one in front of the nut?

Also the top bolt does washer go between the altenator and the long bracket or does it go in front of the bolt?

I know that if you don't get the washers right the altenator will be out of line

Please let me know I don't want to ruin a new altenator by putting it in wrong!

Thanks to All!

oldblu65
10-12-2012, 10:00 PM
I recently bought another 97 Geo (my old geo finally died) but it did not have an altenator and I had to go buy one. It is the 4 cylinder auto. Anyway, the long bolt was still on the bottom (I call it the C bracket) my question is I know there are washers involved and do you have two on the inside of the bracket or are the on the outside? At least for the long bolt one in front of the head of the bolt and one in front of the nut?

Also the top bolt does washer go between the altenator and the long bracket or does it go in front of the bolt?

I know that if you don't get the washers right the altenator will be out of line

Please let me know I don't want to ruin a new altenator by putting it in wrong!

Thanks to All!
The washer will need to go wherever it causes the pulleys to line up properly . This may sound simplistic but I don't have a Geo to use as a reference . You may have to install it several times ( putting the washer in a different location each time ) , checking the alignment each time with a straight edge of sufficient length to bridge the pulleys until it becomes evident where the washer should be installed . Only then should the belt be installed ( and a visual check be made to insure proper alignment ) and the engine started . Good luck !

Crvett69
10-13-2012, 02:04 PM
if its just a long through bolt wih nut on other end washer should go between bracker and end of bolt. if bolt theads into bracket with no nut the washer should go on socket end of bolt and bracket. don't recall there being a spacing washer on any of the metros i have worked on to line up the pulleys, there is a sliding spacer on one of the lower bolt holes but its part of the alternator

Woodie83
10-14-2012, 04:15 AM
I don't remember there being a single, long bolt. Every Metro I've ever put a belt on had two separate, short bolts on the bottom.

Add your comment to this topic!