Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Gas pump fail?

jk84
10-07-2012, 12:21 PM
I have a 98 buick Lesabre.. Was going 55mph and I noticed my speed dropping... So I tried to speed up nothing.. Acceleration non responsive. Engine still ran, I was able to have enough Idle to turn down a street and parked it. I just left the engine on, I pressed down on the peddle and rpms struggled and made a peddure sound when doing it. sounded like no gas getting to it. After 30 minutes in park with engine still running I turned off engine. I attempted to start the engine up and it wanted to start but couldnt turn over. I heard it's the gas pump? When I would turn the key to accessory it usually makes a humming sound that the gas pump makes before turning it over, I don't hear that now and only makes a faint click sound. Can someone help me?? Thanks

maxwedge
10-07-2012, 03:05 PM
You need to check fuel pressure at the rail with the proper gage.

Tech II
10-07-2012, 03:47 PM
I assume the vehicle cranks over, but doesn't start...

Remove the plastic engine cover......on the fuel rail is black plastic cap......turn the key on(don't crank), shut off, wait five seconds....then repeat 3X's....if you don't have a fuel pressure gage, now using a rag to catch the fuel, depress the schraeder valve.......careful will rag....should be in excess of 40psi....if it just trickles out, not enough pressure......If you have power to the pump, then you need a pump.....

Or you can spray carb cleaner into the intake, while someone cranks the vehicle....if it runs as long as you spray, you know it's a fuel delivery problem.....either injectors aren't firing, or no fuel pressure.....

jk84
10-07-2012, 08:11 PM
Awesome, Thanks I will do that...

I assume the vehicle cranks over, but doesn't start...

Remove the plastic engine cover......on the fuel rail is black plastic cap......turn the key on(don't crank), shut off, wait five seconds....then repeat 3X's....if you don't have a fuel pressure gage, now using a rag to catch the fuel, depress the schraeder valve.......careful will rag....should be in excess of 40psi....if it just trickles out, not enough pressure......If you have power to the pump, then you need a pump.....

Or you can spray carb cleaner into the intake, while someone cranks the vehicle....if it runs as long as you spray, you know it's a fuel delivery problem.....either injectors aren't firing, or no fuel pressure.....

jk84
10-09-2012, 08:38 PM
Update! Alright I was able to look at my car and checked the radiator fluid and it was pretty empty! so I filled it with water and pressed on the peddle and got rpms to normal! it actually response now... Its just weird that With no or little radiator fluid would cause no rpms? maybe it's a safety thing to prevent my engine from blowing up?

Tech II
10-09-2012, 09:29 PM
You are not out of the woods yet....if you see no external leaks, could have an upper plenum coolant leak.....seen them leak so bad, they hydrolock the engine....

jk84
10-09-2012, 09:42 PM
It appears to be leaking from the radiator drain plug

You are not out of the woods yet....if you see no external leaks, could have an upper plenum coolant leak.....seen them leak so bad, they hydrolock the engine....

jk84
10-12-2012, 01:43 PM
I replaced the fuel filter... I poured the retaining gas in the filter and It came out a nasty brown color and kinda clumpy.... maybe that was the problem too??

Tech II
10-12-2012, 04:30 PM
Your coolant being low was another problem, and had nothing to do with starting.....that's why Max suggested checking fuel pressure....a partially plugged fuel filter will cause acceleration and starting problems......

Replacing the fuel filter may help, but you may have a fuel pump on the way out.....so see how it runs with the filter replaced....

As for your coolant, keep an eye on the level in the radiator and the reservoir.....also, make sure you have removed all air from the system....may find you have more than one leak....

jk84
10-12-2012, 06:03 PM
So I got everything together and got the new filter in but it has a very rough start and chugglish....Stepping on the gas in idle it still putters a bit for the rpms, After a few minutes of running it goes back to normal and rpms are normal... I am scared to test drive it though yet

Your coolant being low was another problem, and had nothing to do with starting.....that's why Max suggested checking fuel pressure....a partially plugged fuel filter will cause acceleration and starting problems......

Replacing the fuel filter may help, but you may have a fuel pump on the way out.....so see how it runs with the filter replaced....

As for your coolant, keep an eye on the level in the radiator and the reservoir.....also, make sure you have removed all air from the system....may find you have more than one leak....

jk84
10-12-2012, 06:06 PM
I notice when I rev the gas the top radiator heat tube pinches when i rev gas... maybe the thermostat?

Add your comment to this topic!