Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

TCC selenoid transmission shudder?

bigkane01
09-28-2012, 12:49 AM
I actually have a Mercury Mountaineer but the forum is not very active. It's a 2006 and I'm having intermittent transmission issues. When driving at speeds right around where overdrive kicks in, I'm getting a shudder, almost like a slip. I was told the transmission is bad and needs replaced. But to me the transmission can't be bad one week and fine the next. I've read something about a TCC(torque convertor clutch) selenoid causing problems like this, but can't find the article anymore. Does anyone know if the 2006 has the TCC selenoid? I don't wanna shell out $2400 for a new transmission if it's something that simple. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Sorry, forgot to add, the engine is a 4.6L

shorod
09-28-2012, 07:53 AM
I doubt the transmission needs to be replaced versus possibly just having the fluid drained, filter replaced, and refilled, or maybe having it rebuilt.

The torque converter will actually lock up anytime you're maintaining a pretty constant speed of 35 mph or above. Is this shudder happening at those times too, or only at highway speeds, like maybe when overdrive (OD) kicks in? Have you tried the OD Off button to see if that has an effect?

To start with, have you ever had the fluid replaced in the transmission? If not, you might try that. It will probably run you around $120 for the fluid and filter exchange. I would NOT suggest you have a flush performed at this point, even if the shop tries to sell you on one. You can search this forum for more details on several folks' experiences with flushes. If the fluid and filter change make any sort of change in the way the transmission behaves, the issue probably does not require a transmission replacement.

If turning the OD off has an effect, you might be looking at a shift solenoid issue, issues with the bands, or possible worn bores that need to be drilled and re-sleeved. I recently had my 2004 Aviator in to have the solenoids replaced due to a shudder (although mine would happen at lower speeds as well) and sometimes harsh reverse engagement. I asked about the possibility of needing the bores re-sleeved. The transmission shop said that probably wouldn't be an issue as they had only seen that problem on vehicles with over 100k miles. My Aviator has 83k. Well, they inspected them, they've now seen the worn bores as early as 83k. If it had just needed new solenoids, the bill would have been around $460. The drill and re-sleeve took it up to $680. Once I got it back it shifted better than any Mountaineer/Aviator I've had (never bought one new though).

-Rod

bigkane01
09-29-2012, 11:40 PM
Actually when it begins to shudder, if I turn off overdrive, the shuddering stops.

shorod
09-30-2012, 08:21 PM
It seems then that the issue may not be so much with the torque converter clutch but rather with overdrive then.

-Rod

bigkane01
09-30-2012, 08:40 PM
But now it also happens when I really get on it, like merging onto the interstate. I swear it almost feels like the engine is cutting out. The best description would be like a rev limiter, real jumpy acting and shuddery. I appreciate your help, thanks for the quick replies.

shorod
10-01-2012, 01:26 PM
Sure, and when you really get on it, the transmission is likely trying to downshift out of 5th gear, so it still seems like it could easily be something with 5th gear rather than the TCC.

If you have a transmission shop in your area that you trust, or that receives good reviews from friends/co-workers, you might get their opinion. I'm not very familiar with transmissions.

-Rod

Add your comment to this topic!