Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

93 lebsabre brake line

Amopower
09-18-2012, 02:18 PM
I noticed that my rear brake line has a slow leak. This line was already replaced about 10 years ago, but rust prevails again.
I see that whoever replaced the lines back then totally avoided including the proportioning valves, so they are missing.
My question would be: what was the affect of not having those on there? Does that mean the rear brakes were working harder, or not as hard, as they should have been?

maxwedge
09-18-2012, 07:28 PM
The balance between the ft to rear brake bias has been eliminated, not a truely safe system.

Amopower
09-18-2012, 07:33 PM
Thanks, I wonder why I never noticed that all these years...pretty shoddy work to just decide not to put them back. I'll do it right this time though and put new ones in. I should probably start a new thread, but any recommendations on whether or not bleeding the brakes is a DIY with this ABS car? I saw some posts about needing a Tech 2 to I guess pulse the ABS unit while bleeding. It appears this line goes from the rear to one of the 6 or so lines going into the ABS unit. Wondering if I should pump the fuid starting from the rear fitting, then when it finally reaches the end near the ABS, hook it up into the ABS. I'm sure there will still be air in it, but not as much as if I installed the line totally dry.

After going to a junkyard for a replacement line, I noticed that they didn't even route mine the same way it was from the factory. They went around the gas tank instead of going in front of it as it was designed, making for a longer path than it really needed to be.

Add your comment to this topic!