Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

87 LeSabre timing marks

DMolyneaux
09-14-2012, 04:55 PM
After trying all else, I dismantled the engine timing chain cover and found that the tension unit was totally failed and the cam gear was partially stripped. I have not ordered parts yet, not sure what all I should order.
Additionally, I see a timing mark on the crankshaft gear but no identifyable mark on the cam gear. Any clues?:confused:
Vechicle vin is 1G4HR5135HH406489
3.8 V6 engine

Tech II
09-14-2012, 09:40 PM
Yeah, those cam gears were known for failure because of the composition of the teeth(originally designed this way to reduce noise)......the replacement is all metal......

I would replace the cam and crank gears, chain, and tensioner....

Another problem is the cam button/spring(usually falls out when you remove the cover)......button could be damaged or known for wearing away the timing cover where it mates......if it does, new cover is needed....

Also, if the oil pan wasn't dropped, sliding the timing cover back on, may pinch the oil pan gasket and cause a leak.......

In some cases, have seen when the timing jumps, the push rods become bent.....no compression, no start....

Probably don't see the mark on the cam gear, because it broke off.....

Off the top of my head, the crank should be at 12 and the cam is at 6 or 12(think it's 6)......need a manual to check both out.....

And don't forget to pack the oil pump rotor with petroleum grease before installing......

DMolyneaux
09-15-2012, 09:07 AM
I did not really see wear on the cover, but I also did not look too closely. Is there more than one possible position to mount the new cam gear (do I need to worry about finding TDC on the #1 cylinder) or just line up the marks?
Also, I did not dismantle the oil pump or remove the water pump from the cover, is packing the oil pump really needed?

maxwedge
09-15-2012, 10:00 AM
The complete how to here can be found at autozone.com, repair guides, register and go to engine mechanical.

DMolyneaux
09-21-2012, 09:42 AM
The complete how to here can be found at autozone.com, repair guides, register and go to engine mechanical.
I do not see anything really helpful at that location. Any other possibilities?

Add your comment to this topic!