Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

96 Cherokee have run out of ideas to get ur started

rockswealth
09-11-2012, 06:30 AM
Hi

I sure hope someone can help me with this problem.

I have a 96 Jeep Cherokee, 2wd, 4 cylinder, manual transmission, I have had some work done on it. Recently, I had the clutch redone, then I had a tune-up and the motor mounts replaced.

After the motor mounts were done, I was unable to get the vehicle into gear. My mechanic adjusted the clutch pedal and it was running as long as I did not put it into reverse. I had driven it about 3 miles from my house, parked it.

Came out to start it a couple of hours later and it would not turn over. It wanted to start but no engagement. I had to have it towed to my house where my mechanic could check it out.

Since that time, we have determined that it is not the fuel pump, we changed out the fuel injectors, replaced the coil, replaced the crankshaft sensor and it is still doing the same thing. Have gone through all the suggested remedies.

We have run out of ideas and do not know what to do. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Roxanne

aleekat
09-11-2012, 09:26 AM
Sounds more like just throwing parts at it. You need to narrow down whether it's fuel or ignition related.
Fuel, compression, spark and spark at the right time.

rockswealth
09-11-2012, 02:21 PM
We started out by checking the fuel pump and all related parts, determined not the pump, next we checked the ignition, found the coil not giving out a spark changed it, next we found 3 of the 4 injectors to be bad, changed all 4. Same thing happened. We then went on line to see what the experts suggested. Everyone was of the opinion that the crankshaft sensor was bad, no way to check so just changed it. Understand that this vehicle has really never had any thing changed on it for a very long time. So this is where we are now. My mechanic will be checking for any leaks in lines today, but we were hoping for some insight on where to start. As far as we can tell everything is working Fuel, Air and Spark.

rockswealth
09-14-2012, 02:13 PM
Okay here is an update, fuel fine, but we are not getting a spark anywhere, recently had to change ignition key, but it worked fine after that. This problem with not starting happened later after it had been running fine.

Where do we go from here in checking for a spark. New spark plugs, new spark wires, new distributor and rotor, new ignition coil. Nothing had ever been changed on this 96 since I purchased it in 2005 so I don't mind all the new parts. But what would cause it to not start now. We also changed the crankshaft sensor.

Very confused at this stage and need some expert advice please. :banghead:

Thanks for any help you may give.

Rocks

Saudade
09-15-2012, 08:50 AM
Well, I would visually inspect all of the wiring harnesses. It's very easy to pinch one while changing out mounts.

Don't rule out the ign switch.

How did you check for fuel pressure? If you pressed the valve and fuel squirted out, that is *NOT* an adequate way to check. You need a fuel pressure gauge.

I'm unlcear on what you mean by "wanting to start but no engagement". Is the engine cranking over? Are you getting just one loud click? Does nothing happen?

fredjacksonsan
09-15-2012, 11:01 AM
You said it ran fine, except when you put it in reverse. I'd suspect that something is grounding out when you put it in reverse. Either the switch or the wiring.

Also, you said you've replaced the crankshaft position sensor. How about the camshaft position sensor?

rockswealth
09-15-2012, 09:13 PM
Have not check the camshaft position sensor yet, will talk to my mechanic tomorrow when he comes over.

rockswealth
09-15-2012, 09:23 PM
Not exactly sure how to express it but it cranks but will not catch or click. You are right on the fuel pressure check, not exactly sure how they checked it will have to see. I personally have an inclination to believe it is the ignition switch since from the very beginning it didn't feel right.

Since I last posted, we have noticed another little problem and that is the clutch doesn't seem to disengage when the pedal is pressed in. If it wasn't for bad luck I would have no Luck at all. I really appreciate all of the help you guys are giving and will have my best mechanic check on the suggestions.

skip57
09-24-2012, 01:42 PM
question It does crank over but will not start. It will sputter ,seams to fire once in a wile when cranking. You must go back and check all the work you have had done. (Fuel pressure for a throttle body should be around 40 PSI and injectors should be at 60 PSI) When changing the clutch the grounds and wiring harness could be stressed or not reattached check the all

rockswealth
09-25-2012, 01:16 AM
I have been able to narrow it down to a short somewhere in the wiring that goes or comes out of the Powertrain Control Module it is a 30amp fuse and it is blowing when we try and start the Jeep.

I also am checking all the grounds for consistence. I hope this will be the problem and I really appreciate all your help and suggestions.

Add your comment to this topic!