Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

99 Explorer with the 5.0 stalling when warm.

Ruckus79
09-02-2012, 04:14 PM
Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have a 99 explorer AWD with the 5.0. It runs fine when the motor is cool or just boppin around town, But when it warms up or you have drove for 10 or 15 miles on the hwy, it stalls to about 150 RPM it stays that way for about 20 or 30 seconds then take off again for about 100 yards then repeats. It throws a code for a minor leak in the EVAP system and that is it... Has anyone else had this problem. Thanks

shorod
09-03-2012, 09:31 PM
Welcome to the forum! Please post the specific diagnostic code number. There are multiple EVAP leak codes, some could be significant, others are not.

Any chance you have a scan tool with datastream mode so you can log sensor data while the truck is driving fine and again when the issue happens? When's the last time the Explorer has had a tune up (spark plugs, plug wires, fuel filter, air filter, etc.)?

-Rod

danielsatur
09-03-2012, 09:56 PM
Try applying a tourniquet on the EGR system for troubleshooting.
Remove old EGR gasket, and cut a blank gasket with just bolt holes.

Yes - It with throw a code, but did the problem go away?

carrfixr
09-03-2012, 10:06 PM
I don't believe the evap code is relaed to your int low idle. I have seen many times the IAC idle air control valve sticks. When the idle is low tap it with a hammer and see if it picks up..

Ruckus79
09-03-2012, 10:26 PM
Sorry for the late reply. I dont at the present time have scanner but can get one at anytime. The code that it threw was a P0442. A tune up including plugs, plug wires, fuel pump and filter was done last summer and we havent even put 2000 miles on since then.

Ruckus79
09-03-2012, 10:32 PM
I should also mention that i took the egr valve off and cleaned it really well. I dont know if that did anything for me but it was worth a shot

danielsatur
09-03-2012, 11:45 PM
What did the gasket look like?
When the EGR open, intake vacuum draws exhaust gas through valve this dilutes the incoming air/fuel mix.

Temp problems!
@ certain temp, the ECU/PCU gets confused on the Air/fuel mix.

Incoming Air Temp (IAT) sensor, bad or dirty MAF sensor.
Coolant Temp sensor (CTS)
Incoming Air Control Temp (IACT)
Dirty throttle body

Add your comment to this topic!