Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

5.3 vortec vs 5.4 triton

imakedacookies
09-01-2012, 12:58 PM
I am looking to buy a new truck, and I want to know which engine is better, the triton or the vortec in an 08 F-150 or 1500 Silverado. I am interested in knowing which is better considering fuel efficiency, reliability, and towing power. This will be a daily driver, but it needs to have enough power to pull a medium sized boat. I dont want a Ford vs. Chevy post, I just want to know which is actually better.

imakedacookies
09-01-2012, 01:38 PM
I want to add the 4.8 vortec to the discussion as well. Mainly because I find more of them for sale than the 5.3.

Andrew7dg
09-29-2012, 12:36 AM
I have a 5.4 triton in a 1998 Ford F150

I like the engine except for a couple of things

spark plugs are PAIN to get to if you the DIY type. I am and I won't even touch them...
Exhaust manifold bolts rust and break leaving exhaust leaks. The night mare is if you have to replace the exhaust manifold, the studs brake and you have to bring out a welder to get them out.

Gas mileage 15 at best. I have never gotten it better then that. however I have an extended bed and long box.
It does tow very well

I would hope the 5.3 would be easier to work on.

imakedacookies
12-24-2012, 12:30 AM
Everyone I know with vortecs say they last forever but they have to run at high rpms for enough power to tow which kills the gas mileage. My last Triton constantly broke down but it had a lot of power, and to be fair I did double the Max towing weight a few times. I'm leaning towards getting a vortec but I haven't driven a new Chevy yet. How would it compare to a Chevy from the 90s. My last one had the 454 in it and is still the best truck ive ever owned, except for some electrical problems. If y'all were going to buy a truck would you go for the vortec or Triton and why. Please don't add toyota into this, I am all about American made trucks

dizzle1
03-22-2013, 11:32 PM
Go with the chevy silverado 5.3 the power mods are endless and for a DIY it isn't as bad as the Fords.

Add your comment to this topic!