Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

97 Jeep 4l Distributor ticking /shocks if touched also misfire through air intake.

FSB
08-31-2012, 03:57 PM
Hi Guys! Hope I can get some guidance here? My Jeep does not start. When the ignition is switched to the on position the distributor ticks rappedly. If you touch it by hand you are sometimes lightly shocked. When you turn the key and try to start the engine (engines does turn), it smells like it is over-fueling and it poppes back up through the air in-takes with a big "poof" sound. When key is back at ON position the distributor keeps having a electrical "tick-tick-tick" and I guese the coil keeps working(new coil). It even sends a spark to the plugs at times while the ignition is on the on position (engine not running) that ignites fuel and it suddenly tries to start on its own... You can imagine thats an odd sight!

The firing order (1-5-3-6-2-4) is correct. As the engine turns it sounds like a combination of not firing in the right order and/or a coil problem or could it be the distributor carbon button/ball thats worn out? It was fully serviced about a year ago however only about 3000km were driven since. I also replaced the MAP sensor 4 months ago after it just stalled when driving. This sorted that problem out...

EXTRA INFO: Its an un-leaded engine and I live in africa and had to use leaded fuel for some time few months back due to fuel availability issues. Could be part of the problem?

Appreciate any in-put or advise!

Saudade
09-01-2012, 09:22 AM
Well, there's no way you should get spark without the engine turning under normal conditions.

Check your Crankshaft Position Sensor located on the back of the bell housing near the top driver's side. The CPS triggers the ignition system.

Also look for signs of chafing on the wire bundles.

Add your comment to this topic!