Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

AC Recirculation (MAX) Not Kicking In - 95 LeSabre

CarDude225
08-11-2012, 02:52 PM
95 LeSabre Custom

I was driving along, AC on Max, and I noticed that the airflow sound changed to what it sounds like when Normal is engaged, since it got a bit quieter. I tried to switch back and fourth between max and normal and it no longer engages max like it use to. I turned the AC off and on a few times, even shut the car off and back on but still no max. Vacuum hoses seem OK under the hood. Switching to bi-level, vent, and etc. seem to work fine. It seems as though the recirculation door is no longer functioning.

How is the recirc door actuated - is it by vacuum or is it electrically controlled (I'm guessing vacuum)? Where could the fault be? Also where is the door located - can I get to it perhaps from under the right side of the dash?

Thanking you in advance for helping to point me in the right direction.

EDIT
Observation: After having shut the car off for a while, and disconnecting the negative battery cable for a bit, the max control works again. I'm not sure if this is going to be a recurring problem or not...

HotZ28
08-11-2012, 09:58 PM
Did you have a flashing display when you first turned on the ignition when the first problem occurred? What system do you have, manual, auto, or auto with passenger side control? The 1995 system was controlled by vacuum to the programmer.

imidazol97
08-12-2012, 10:33 AM
How is the recirc door actuated - is it by vacuum or is it electrically controlled (I'm guessing vacuum)? Where could the fault be? Also where is the door located - can I get to it perhaps from under the right side of the dash?

The vacuum actuator for the door that opens to bring in air from the cabin has a porous plug in the vacuum line to the motor. That slows the reaction time for opening and closing. If you switch between outside and recirculate rapidly from the dash control, it won't be changing notceably.

Try starting the car and let the AC stabilize, then turn on recirculate and listen. It will take maybe 15 seconds before the noise level increases totally and it will be slow. If you are really into this, lie down on the driver side and look around above the accelerator pedal. You'll see a vacuum actuator with a link going toward the firewall and the opening where the recirculate air is taken in. Put your hand lightly on the actuator when the engage the recirculate and feel how it engages.

I suppose it's possible the porous plug might change with age or dust getting into it, but since your unit works, I suspect it's just the time delay you're noticing.

CarDude225
08-13-2012, 02:54 PM
HotZ, I believe I have a manual AC system (vehicle is "Custom" trim), but not certain.

Imidazol97, thank you for the tips.

CarDude225
06-18-2016, 07:14 PM
Would you believe it....it is almost 4 years later and the issue of poor cooling just came up for the umpteenth time, and I finally took a look at the recirc actuator above the gas pedal. I saw it change from open to close without any input from the ac control panel.
So what I did was I rigged it to stay open with some velcro. Hopefully the velcro doesn't slip off.
Thanks for the help!!

brcidd
06-18-2016, 08:13 PM
Sticking a system in recirc can cause serious fogging issues if raining and between 52 and 62 degrees ambient- been there- done that. Within 90 seconds the entire car can fog up- no matter how much heat is requested to the defrost- can be very dangerous- that is why all vacuum controlled a/c systems always default to defrost (and outside air) if no vacuum present- to clear the windows. With no vacuum present, the recirc door should always go to fresh air mode.

Tech II
06-24-2016, 12:45 PM
I don't believe the recirc actuator is above the gas pedal.....

Add your comment to this topic!