Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Rearview Mirror has fallen off!

keysmann
07-10-2012, 08:35 AM
My '98 Buick LeSabre has the Electrochromic Day/Night Rearview Mirror and during the extreme heat of this past week it came off the windshield. I have tried everything I could think of to reattach it. Is there some sort of trick I am missing? :dunno:

Thanks for any help you can spare.

Tech II
07-10-2012, 10:29 AM
Did it fall off the retainer that is glued to the windshield, or did the retainer come off the windshield?

keysmann
07-10-2012, 02:10 PM
Tech II,
The entire assembly came off. It took me a bit to figure out how the retainer came apart from the housing. But once I got it removed I couldn't see any way you could get the housing back on once the retainer was reglued to the windshield. So I put the retainer back on the housing (Not the easiest thing to do), went to the local Auto Zone and bought a rearview mirror adhesive kit and glued it back on to the winshield and held the entire assembly until it dried.

I know there had to be an easier way but I had tomake a quick fix since the car had an appointment for inspection this morning.

But thanks for the reply. I appreciate it very much.

imidazol97
07-10-2012, 09:44 PM
But once I got it removed I couldn't see any way you could get the housing back on once the retainer was reglued to the windshield. So I put the retainer back on the housing (Not the easiest thing to do), went to the local Auto Zone and bought a rearview mirror adhesive kit and glued it back on to the winshield and held the entire assembly until it dried.

5 stars for finding a way to get'er done!

The mirror slides down into the retainer parallel to the glass. There is a spring that snaps down into place when the mirror is at the full bottom of travel. If you don't get it all the way down, it will act like it's solid but will evenetually work loose and move up and then the mirror vibrates back and forth while you're driving. To remove mirror after snapping down, pull upward to ward the ceiling and back seat quickly, and it should pull past the snap down depression and come free.

Tech II
07-10-2012, 09:59 PM
I once knew a guy that glued the retainer on upside down......only way the mirror would attach was to slide it on from the bottom to the top of the retainer.....it clicked in place, but the mirror was way too low......

So he decided to pull the retainer off the W/S before it dried good......you could hear that W/S crack across the shop....he was not having a good day.....

HotZ28
07-10-2012, 11:56 PM
It's very easy to glue the rear view mirror button upside down. If the button was glued on upside down or the wrong side to the glass, DO NOT try to remove it. Prying or heating to remove an incorrectly installed button may result in cracking the windshield! It's best if this happens to purchase a new button and bond it on top of the incorrectly installed button. Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/2021662

Tech II
07-11-2012, 07:38 PM
Good tip........

Add your comment to this topic!