Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Gotta replace brake lines - 92 XFi

SchlockRod
07-09-2012, 04:05 PM
OK I found out why the "brake" light has been on (I was ignoring it because the last time I had a brake warning light come on the car had just wrapped itself around a tree after brake failure:rofl:):
The steel brake lines under the car are all corroded and fluid is oozing out of them.
How hard is it to replace these and does anyone have suggestions/recommendations? I'm assuming I will need to custom-bend and maybe also flare generic brake lines from the auto parts store...

Thanks.

Crvett69
07-09-2012, 07:44 PM
unless you can find some good used ones you will have to buy lengths of the stuff at parts store and bend it yoursel and you will need a double flaring tool, not a single like for house plumbing. napa sells it in various lengths and end fitting and couplers

SchlockRod
07-10-2012, 06:38 PM
Thanks Vette you da man.
Yeah I kinda figured. I have a flare tool and bender... it's just been a long time since I had to do this kind of fab work... like when I was 18 drivin beater VWs. I grew up, had normal cars like other people... now I've come full circle drivin this beater again.
I'm lookin for a clean VW beetle cuz they're easier to fix and who cares if they have no air etc - neither does this Metro... I might as well come 360 full circle!

Crvett69
07-10-2012, 06:51 PM
make sure its a double flare too that has the small post you put in end to make the double flare. single flare will leak

SchlockRod
07-11-2012, 12:45 PM
Yep. I knew that.
Thanks.

Add your comment to this topic!