Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

87 dying after stopping

bucketman2001
07-02-2012, 12:39 AM
i have an 87 that dies after it starts unless i keep my foot on the gas and when coming to a stop. when driving, it jerks. it has gradually gotten worse all day long. i stopped at a stop sign and it died once and didnt do it all day long. i was low on gas today and i thought it was just because of that but it it was still the same after putting a half of a tank in. any info would help me out a lot. thank you.

typesix
07-12-2012, 11:10 AM
Likely that the carb has air leakage, these carbs were known for being troublesome, may need rebuilding. Had to rebuild the carb on my former 1981 Dodge Omni(Horizon twin). Check all vacuum lines for cracks and leakage, that may another cause. You can carefully spray carb cleaner to check for vacuum leaks around the carb and lines.
Another option if it is vacuum leak around the carb is to put sealant around the outside to seal the leak, did that to my Dad's 1974 Dodge Dart carb and it worked.

Good luck

denisond3
09-20-2012, 09:38 PM
You have probably found the problem by now, but I would have thought it might be a malfunctioning 'servo' that keeps the throttle slightly open when the ignition is on, and lets it shut when the ignition is off, so it doesnt diesel after being turned off. Some of these were vacuum operated, and there would be a vacuum solenoid on the firewall to the passenger side of the motor, or were electricaly operated, with a solenoid mounted on the driver's side rear of the carburetor..

And yes, they are finicky carburetors when they get to be 25 years old.

bucketman2001
09-27-2012, 01:18 PM
i actually havent solved this problem yet lol my car is sitting outside and just got started up yesterday after not being ran for months. someone told me that the torque converter may be locked up but it still runs in park sometimes (key word some times) but we have put new spark plugs in changed the roter under the distributor cap, changed the carb and idol valve and fixed the cracked vacuum lines. everything short of actually dropping the tranny and looking at the converter. we may have missed a cracked line. im thinking of scrapping the damn thing lol but i want to try every option before i do anything drastic like that.

Add your comment to this topic!