Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Help in determining starter vs. ignition switch issue in 99 Intrigue

claude777tt
06-03-2012, 12:54 PM
We purchased a used Intrigue with 120,000 miles on it in late March. We have had no issues with it until this morning.

This morning, the car failed to start. It turned over and seemed to be trying to start but the engine would not engage. Three tries later the car started. It then starter, slowly, two subsequent for times. At this point I drove it 35 miles to work. It appears to be driving fine - it does not stall or lose power and it is idling normally. This makes me thing the alternator is fine.

After pulling into the parking lot at work, I turned the car off. I then tried to see if it would start and I got nothing. No clicking, no turning over, no sound. The lights were bright and normal and the radio would run fine and the dash panel is lit normally.

I let the car sit for forty minutes and went out and it slowly started. Then I turned it off and started it again and it started like normal.

I will, of course, have the battery checked to see if that could be an issue (I doubt it) but I am at a loss for how to determine whether I should start by checking the ignition switch or starter (I would assume these are the two most likely culprits). I feel comfortable replacing a starter myself if that is the problem. Any insight would be helpful?

FishFind
06-03-2012, 02:53 PM
I would guess the starter or a power wire going to the starter. You may also check the relays or fuse for the starter.

When it is not starting you can attach a wire from the POS battery tereminal turn the key to the on position and touch to where the POS wire connects to the starter. If the starter will still not go then I am sure this is your problem. Doing this test will bypass the ignition and the wires to the starter.

aleekat
06-03-2012, 04:35 PM
I then tried to see if it would start and I got nothing. No clicking, no turning over, no sound. The lights were bright and normal and the radio would run fine and the dash panel is lit normally.

Had bad battery cables do this to a couple cars I have owned.

i_hate_cars38
06-07-2012, 02:39 PM
check my post about compressor freeze up like said wires can do this so can a compressor freeze we thought and tried starter but it was ac compressor froze solid and not letting anything turn

look on battery and starter for green coreded wires but a wire brush and brush all connections connectors ends etc till everything shines then try again

Add your comment to this topic!