Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

99 Mercury Villager Problems

Jimkat Racing
05-02-2012, 10:27 AM
Okay guys! I so hope you all can help me! First of all my name is Kat! A few months ago my car (94 Toyota Tercel) blew a head gasket! This guy whom my husband does shade tree mechanic for, had given him a 1999 Mercury Villager. It's only had this one owner since it was bought in 99. They parked it in an old abandoned driveway beside their house. It had sat out there for 3 years. When we went to crank it and put it on the trailor, it cranked right up. Well that's been a month ago. We took the van cleaned it up. It looks really nice. To get on with the story. I took it to town and on the way back from town it bucked, threw a fit and I could barely get it to go 10 miles an hour. When I finally made it home. I didn't even have to turn off the key. It died. Then after letting it sit for about 3 hours, it cranked right back up with no problem. Now it done this to me twice. Well my husband decided that it was maybe the cat stopped up. He cleaned that out. It still did it. So we just went ahead and bought a distributor as you guys have suggested to others on here. He drove it and it never gave him any problems. I made him go to all the places I had gone to make sure it had done it's travel. He gets back home and decides to look at the belts and sure enough they needed new ones, even the timing belt. He changed all the belts. After changing the belts and the water pump he cranks it up and the fan runs all the time. What can this be? Can you guys please help me. We have spent already a butt load of money on this darn van with in just a few months. Funds are low and I need a way to go. I have already invested new tires, harmonic balancer, belts, oil, oil filter.......and many many more things have been done. The mileage on the van is 175055 and his machine he bought a few years ago doesn't have a Mercury Villager on it but the codes it has put up are PO115, PO325, PO105, UO301, CO 6A2, and not sure really about this code because I might have wrote it down wrong P3306. I plan on taking it to Autozone and getting them to do the codes on their machine. I'll post them after I do that this evening. I hope it doesn't hurt it to run the van with the fan running all the time but I have to take it to autozone. It runs great as far as the motor. Thanks a alot for any help! :frown:

tempfixit
05-02-2012, 04:39 PM
Are you sure the coolant system is free of air in the ssytem as they ae a bear to bleed of air??

Codes

P0115MercuryEngine Coolant Temperature Circuit

P0105MercuryManifold Absolute Pressure/BARO Circuit
P0325MercuryKnock Sensor 1 Circuit Malfunction (IGNORE THIS CODE FOR NOW AS IT IS 99% OF THE TIME SET BY ANOTHER CODE AND THE SENSOR IFS FINE.)
U0301MercurySoftware Incompatibility with ECM/PCM
Were the codes cleared after distributor installation??

What brand distributor was installed??

PM Sent

Jimkat Racing
05-03-2012, 12:00 AM
We took it to autozone and only two of the codes showed up. The knock sensor and another. I can't remember the other. The guy at autozone told us to take the battery cables loose for 30 minutes and that should reset everything. It was late and raining when we got back so we parked it until tomorrow evening when hubby gets home from work. Richporter distributor with a lifetime warranty.

Jimkat Racing
05-03-2012, 10:13 PM
Okay....so far everything is running fine. We hooked the battery back up and the check engine light went off and the fan is running normal. I get to take her out for a drive tomorrow so cross your fingers she does right. She's still ideling a little ruff but hubby said he needed to adjust the timing a bit. Will let you know tomorrow evening how it goes!:)

Jimkat Racing
05-05-2012, 12:45 AM
Tempfixit, my van ran great today. Thanks for your help! I know where to come ask my questions from now on. It ran and drove wonderful. Especially after getting new tires put on all the way around. They were dry rotted bad! I guess what did you expect after being parked for nearly four years. I think it needs freon put in it though. The air conditioner wasn't cooling real good and it was hot outside. Looks like the south is in for another scorching hot summer! :)

tempfixit
05-05-2012, 12:53 AM
Great, enjoy the vehicle.

Add your comment to this topic!