Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1989 Toyota 4X4 Pickup 22RE Engine not starting.

Syberfinder
04-15-2012, 10:16 AM
I recently went to start my Pickup and only got a click from a relay and then nothing. At first I thought it was a bad cell in my battery but when I got a new battery and still couldn’t start the Pickup I new I had a problem. I also put a refurbished starter in about 3 years ago.

When I first enter the vehicle and put the key in the ignition the dome light and the door open buzzer comes on but once the key is turned there is the sound of a relay clicking and then nothing else happens; the dome light goes out, the door open buzzer stops working, no dash indicators. I have to get out and remove the positive batter cable and re-attach it to get everything back on in the cab.

I put a volt meter to the battery it reads 12.45 volts and the starter motor has two wires running to it the lower one that is held on by a 14mm nut is hot, there is a snap on connection above it that I assume is a relay wire when the key is turned for a split second it reads .01 volts and then nothing. No sound is present from the motor or the starting motor. The only sound that is made is some relay click for a moment.

Can any one tell me what I am looking at for a problem here?

Syberfinder
04-22-2012, 05:37 AM
:headshake Okay guys I figured it out. I had a set of those cheap replacement terminal connectors hooked up to the battery. Somehow I got some battery corrosion that seeped into the positive wires and it made a connection but not efficient enough of one to make the starter work. I picked up a real nice set of brass terminal connectors and a set of terminal post felts to stop corrosion from climbing up there again. Took away the wire that had been corroded and put it all together. My truck started on the first crank. Moral of the story pick quality parts not just the cheapest to get you buy.

Thanks,

Syberfinder

fourwd1
04-26-2012, 08:04 PM
Congrats on figuring it out !
Corrosion on battery terminals is always a PITA.

Add your comment to this topic!