Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Starting Problem

bigryry
04-02-2012, 06:59 PM
I have a 2002 Explorer 4 door with the flex fuel V6 engine with 157k miles. This has happened twice in a month. You got to start the truck and it starts to crank for a second and half and then it completely stops for a half second and then starts cranking again and fires up. The kicker is after it did this the instrument guages, all of them, stayed at nothing when it started and then they all at the same time went to the highest level and then they all dropped back down to nothing and then rose to their perspective postions. My trip gauge reeset it self to zero as well.. ANy ideas?

FishFind
04-02-2012, 07:45 PM
Ignition switch, Ignition fuse, power feed to ignition.

bigryry
04-03-2012, 06:38 AM
Ignition switch, Ignition fuse, power feed to ignition.

I was thinking that but what concerns me is the gauges acting weird and the trip resetting to zero..

That is all stored in the computer?? I worried it is something more with a control module or the computer.

shorod
04-03-2012, 12:15 PM
If I recall correctly, the trip meter will reset to zero when the diagnostic codes are cleared or the battery is disconnected. I'd start my search by checking the condition of the battery cables and connections to make sure they are secure and clean. If the battery cable ends are the type where the stripped cable is tightened down to the clamp, I'd suggest you purchase a set of molded cables and replace the temporary cables.

-Rod

Add your comment to this topic!