Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

98 mountaineer transmission problem

IamMeYouAreYou
02-09-2012, 06:58 PM
I got a 1998 mercury mountaineer v8 4 door awd 130k. Here is my problem....I was driving home when I blew out a front brake line and had no e-brake So I decided to limp it home as I've done in the past using Drive 2 and 1 and a mushy brake pedal to stop. I had 8 miles and 6 lights to home is moderate traffic. Id drive slow around 30 - 40 then drop it to second then first to stop. But I was almost home (litteraly a block and a half) when some dumb ass slams on his brakes to make a left with a signal at the last second and leaning to the right of the lane leaving me no room to pass I dropped it to second at around 40mph and herd kind of a rubbing smooth clicking type sound then took the corner to my street and had little to no drive when i put it back to drive. It still shifts into all the gears and if you rev it up it starts to pick up at around 3k but is putting like no power to my wheels and barley creeps me forward but was enough to feel it shift to second. To me it seems like a burnt torque converter bit im not sure if I possibly fuc*** my transmission or transfer case(awd not 4wd) It ran great before this. But I really dont want to replace the torque converter to find out I got to pull the tranny or case again to rebuild it. Please any advice would be very appreciated ....toying with parting it out and scrapping it but its been a great runner and would rather keep it.......... thanks

Effertz repair
11-12-2012, 12:54 PM
Sounds like its your valve body gasket.
Very common problem on the SUV. There
Are some YouTube videos on how to fix this

Add your comment to this topic!