Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2000 Subaru Legacy L transmission problems

Kassie
02-09-2012, 09:58 AM
I have a 2000 Subaru Legacy L sedan. The transmission has started acting strangely and I was wanting to seek advice. The transmission is automatic.

First of all, I have changed the transmission filter and fluid is full.

When the car is in park and I put it into drive, the transmission sometimes doesn't catch/engage. When this happens, I have to put one foot on the brake and rev the engine until it engages into drive. A couple of times, I was at a stoplight, already in drive, and when I let off of the brake, the car didn't move.

Is it correct for me to assume that my transmission is going to need replaced soon??

Does anyone happen to know if parts from a 1996 Subaru Legacy L are interchangeable with my 2000 Subaru Legacy L??

Thanks in advance for any suggestions that anyone may have for me :smile:

rodeo02
02-10-2012, 06:00 AM
Did you change the ATF?

Is the ATF filter a genuine Subaru filter?

You're 100% positive the level is correct?

Kassie
02-10-2012, 06:16 AM
I drained all of the ATF that I could and put new in.

The filter is just one that I purchased from my local auto store. Would a genuine Subaru filter make that much difference??

When I check the level, it says full.

It hasn't done it in a few days now but I never know ahead of time when it's going to do it.

If changing the fluid again and using a genuine Subaru filter will fix this, then I'm all for it :)

Once again, does anyone know if parts from a 1996 Subaru Legacy will fit my 2000 Subaru Legacy??

Thanks

rodeo02
02-10-2012, 10:11 AM
If changing the fluid again and using a genuine Subaru filter will fix this, then I'm all for it :)

I dunno that it will, but for other applications, I know non-OEM ATF/hydraulic filters can cause issues. Other thing is- make sure you're following the manual for checking proper ATF level. It's usually on a warm, idling engine after having cycled thru all gears.

Once again, does anyone know if parts from a 1996 Subaru Legacy will fit my 2000 Subaru Legacy??

Thanks

1994-1998 is a different series of Legacy than the 1999-2004, but drivetrain components could be the same. Read here> http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3555573&postcount=2

Joel

Kassie
03-26-2012, 02:18 PM
Ok...I'm still having problems. Here is the easiest way for me to explain what my car is doing. By the way, the tranny fluid level has already been checked and ruled out.When I go out to start my car for the first time of the day, regardless of the time or the temp outside, it will engage into drive just fine. After I drive and the car warms and I shut it off to go into the store, when I come back out, start it up and put it into drive, it will not engage into drive until I also hold the brake down and rev the engine while still in drive. Reverse works perfectly, all of the time, but I can't drive backwards everywhere I go..LOL...The car is currently parked because I'm afraid it's going to leave me stranded somewhere. I am relying on my truck for transportation right now but with gas prices climbing I really need my car back on the road.I read somewhere about some kind of pressure switch. Anyone know what that is? I don't want to lay out the money for another tranny unless I absolutely have too.

polivan79
09-27-2016, 03:22 PM
Hi Kassie, I have the exact Same Transmission issue with my 2000 Subaru Legacy L. Have you ever figured out what was wrong with it? Or does anybody know what it could be?

Add your comment to this topic!