Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Rough idle after warm up

phynix21
01-22-2012, 11:31 AM
1998 eclipse spyder gs
i had to jump start the car and i crossed the positive and negative wires, i know how stupid that was.
had to replace 100amp fuse for alternator
now when i start the car it runs fine until it warms up ( ten minutes or so sitting in the driveway or about a mile of driving around the neighborhood) then the idle goes nuts and the car will kill unless i keep tapping the gas.
any idea which sensor could cause this to happen?
at first i thought it was the fuel pump but after getting it tested i now know thats not the problem.

my guesses are the O2 sensor or the MAF
any ideas from anyone would be great!

SilvrEclipse
01-23-2012, 09:55 PM
Do you have a check engine light that comes on when its trying to die? You could have possibly fried the ECU by crossing the terminals.

phynix21
01-25-2012, 08:13 AM
Nope. Just the car wanting to kill after it warms up.

ned032002
01-25-2012, 12:11 PM
When the vehicle is cold, it cycles in open loop until a few conditions are met. So once she warms up she then switches to closed loop. That may be where your issue is. Definitely check the MAF and o2 but I doubt you'll find an issue with the 02. My guess would be to start at the MAF. See if you can get your hands on another one to test out to see if that's your issue then get back to us with your results.

phynix21
01-25-2012, 03:21 PM
Will do. Thank you

phynix21
01-27-2012, 02:28 PM
ok one last question before i try o change the MAF. im trying to find a used one so i can save some money because a new one can be expensive. will a MAF from a turbo model be the same as the one from a non turbo model?

SilvrEclipse
01-28-2012, 07:29 PM
Also dont rule out the ECU same thing happened to a friends car it would shut off when warm and turned out to be the ECU. Im not sure if the mafs are the same or not. I believe so but dont quote me on that.

Add your comment to this topic!