Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2000 Jetta license lights mystery

automan9482
12-21-2011, 01:35 PM
'00 Jetta GLS 2.0L/AT w/ 87K miles.

I recently made the mistake of repairing the left license plate light because of a loose connection and now I have no license plate lights.
For anyone unfamiliar, the lens ass'y. unscrews from the deck lid, unplugs from its connector, and then the halogen bulb is somewhat accessible, propped inside the holder on two skinny cheap bayonet contacts. The flimsy bayonets spread and create a loose connection, resulting in a dim or burned out bulb.
It's the worst design for a bulb holder I've ever met, but I digress.
I replaced the bulb with the correct one, keeping it free of dirt and grease, and ever so carefully moved the bayonet back into position to create a good contact again. I then plugged the connector, turned on the headlight switch, and Presto! it was fixed....for about 15 seconds. Then I heard a faint "Click!", which sounded like it came from the interior of the car, (as I was around back of it) and the license lights went dead. Both of them, and only both of them. When I stuck my head back inside the car the clock and trip meter on the dash had both reset, like when the battery is disconnected, and nothing I did brought back the license lights. Turned the headlight switch and the key off-on-off-on-off-on.....nothing. Everything else works fine, clock and trip meter both were OK, car starts and runs fine, and there are no blown fuses inside the fuse panel. WTF VW?
Can anyone guess what the mystery problem is??
Cops around here love people with burned out license plate lights, so I have not been driving the car at night.

Thanks!

DeltaP
12-21-2011, 05:53 PM
My guess is something went to dead short ground. Re check your work.

automan9482
12-21-2011, 06:53 PM
Thanks for your guess, but I don't know what would have shorted...the bulb and housing hadn't been moved or reattached to the deck lid between putting the bulb back in and turning the lights On....+ both lights worked briefly after turning on the lights, like 15 -20 seconds just fine, then clicked off. I did wiggle the protruding wires, but no flicker or anything....

Add your comment to this topic!