Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2003 cts

mr_hops48
11-18-2011, 12:19 PM
i have a friend with a 2003 cts. he states that he is finding oil in the radiator.
is this the normal , head, head gasket or manifold gasket type of issue? or is there something else to look at on this model

thanks
jim

maxwedge
11-18-2011, 06:59 PM
No oil is normal in the rad. is it trans fluid or engine oil?

mr_hops48
11-18-2011, 08:09 PM
i didn't mean oil was normal. i meant normally that if oil is in the radiator it's a head / manifold gasket or head problem.

i believe he said regular oil (not trans fluid)

maxwedge
11-19-2011, 08:07 AM
Normally that could be a bad cooler in the radiator if it is trans fluid, if oil that could anything where an intermix can occur, such as a cracked block, head or internal gaskets.

mr_hops48
11-19-2011, 09:53 AM
i dont believe that there is any coolant in the oil pan. i thought that when the head problems appeard, the flow was the other way. (coolant in oil, not oil in coolant) was wondering if the was anything special about this vehicle that would cause the flow to be opposite. since the coolant is pressurized it would seem that the flow would always be water to oil.
thanks for answering

maxwedge
11-19-2011, 12:58 PM
When shut off and no pressure a bad gasket where oil and coolant passages run near each other, the oil could get into the coolant, the system should be pressure tested and a sample of the contaminated coolant lab tested for an analysis of the content. I would do a google search for any TSB's or tech info on the year and engine CTS in question.

mr_hops48
11-20-2011, 06:56 AM
actually found another link on google relating to this problem
looks like it may be a bad oil cooler that is located between the heads.

Add your comment to this topic!