Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Should I rebuild my engine or just fix the intake gasket

c3xauto
11-02-2011, 03:09 PM
I have 1998 Blazer with 250,000 km. I am pretty sure that the intake manifold gasket is gone. My question is, should I just do the gasket or go for an engine rebuild.

Here's the scoop! It was driven with water in the block until it shut off and it wouldn't start anymore before an oil change. I drained out at least 12 litres of sludge. There is no sign of engine damage, at least that I can tell without tearing it down.

Is it likely to blow soon if I just fix the gasket and put new oil in, or should I go ahead with a rebuild to save the trouble later? :jerking:

thanks

gmtech1
11-02-2011, 04:47 PM
Going by you description, if it were me and I had to fix it, I would purchase a quality rebuilt engine and be done with it.

c3xauto
11-02-2011, 04:56 PM
Thanks gmtech1. So I guess I can assume there is engine damage?

gmtech1
11-02-2011, 05:00 PM
Probably bearing damage and several other things just worn out to to mileage. I think it just makes sense to go with a quality rebuilt that will give you a warranty.

Rick Norwood
11-02-2011, 06:13 PM
O.k. Before you do anything, here is a little tip that I did on my old 1982 Olds with a Buick V6 engine that blew the head gaskets and filled the the crankcase with water and antifreeze. Before buying a new motor, you might consider this.

After replacing the Head Gaskets, I drained the water out, I pulled all 6 of the spark plugs, put on a new cheap Oil filter, and bought a gallon of regular diesel fuel at the Filling Station. I poured the diesel fuel into the crank case, and cranked the engine over with the starter until the battery died.

You do not want to start the engine with the diesel fuel in it, pulling the plugs eliminates the pressure in the cylinders and allows for a longer turn over time.

This basically flushes the diesel fuel through the entire oil system and dispells the water. I think the oil pressure light even went out.

I drained the diesel fuel out, replaced the Oil filter again with another cheap filter, and added fresh cheap engine oil, charged the battery, re-installed the spark plugs and started the engine.

If you want to play it on the safe side, change the oil and filter again after a few hours of run time to make sure you get all of the diesel fuel out. This time, use a good filter and good oil.

The engine ran like a top for 2 more years until it blew the head gaskets again.

Good Luck.

c3xauto
11-03-2011, 12:21 AM
Thanks for the replies. This is a great forum.

Add your comment to this topic!