Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Repaint!

tannerr52
09-05-2011, 08:11 PM
Ok, so this is my first post EVER on ANY forum, so please bear with me. My car has the nasty, faded, bad silver paint from the early 90s. How could I go about repainting this? Do I abslotuely need to prime? Or could I just sand and paint over the old paint? Im going to use trusty ol spray Rustoleum, because its a cheap car and im cheap :naughty:.
Thanks.
Tanner

LearnAutoBody
09-05-2011, 08:38 PM
If it is just fading, you can sand it down and paint on top of the paint. If the clear is peeling, you will need to strip all of the clear off. However, you should not need to prime unless you sand to metal. Then, only prime the metal spots. Don't know much about that king of paint. Are you talking about spray can? There is a cheaper method that may work better. Here is a site that explains the process...Duplicolor (http://jessicombs-duplicolor.blogspot.com/)

tannerr52
09-05-2011, 09:00 PM
Yeah Duplicolor and Rustoleum sound kind of the same. Rustoleum has all kinds of paints, some that are made specifically for auto use. Its designed to stop rust... It works quite well but is pricy...
Also!
How do i go about clearcoating it? Do i sand the new paint so the clear can adhere?

LearnAutoBody
09-06-2011, 06:15 AM
You probably need to read the directions for the brand that you use. Most lines of paint, you can spray our clear coat about 30 minutes to 1 hour after spraying base coat. No sanding between base coat and clear coat.

Add your comment to this topic!