Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Replacing front & rear main seals

Firebird1
07-24-2011, 09:10 AM
:dunno:It's me again how difficult is it to change the front and rear main seals in our cars? (I have some skills and manuals) Or do I need to take it to the dealer to have it done? I know it will cost me an arm and a leg or two but I like my little car. Also what is a good price range to have the engine rebuilt? Anybody know a good but reasonable shop in MD/VA area? Maybe I can drive her down to 3sx and have them do it. What do you think??????:thinkerg:

Stealthee
07-24-2011, 11:14 AM
To do the front main seal the timing belt has to be removed. To do the rear main seal the transmission has to be removed.

As for a rebuild, expect to pay in the thousands. My opinion, rebuilds aren't worth it. Too many fail. You're better off finding a good used engine.

Twizted_3KGT
09-13-2011, 03:42 AM
Why do you want a rebuild?

toddrs93
09-24-2011, 08:28 PM
why was I not mentioned as a good shop in Maryland? lol

prepare to bend over at 3sx. I would do it way cheaper and 50 bucks says im way more experienced than whatever tech is in there doing their work now.

Far as a rebuild just depends how much you like your car. Sure you can pick up motors used and many times they will last, but on the flip side I have had many customers get burnt buying used motors and a few months later they are in the same boat again. On average I do 2-3 complete engine rebuilds a month and have been that way for several years.

Firebird1
09-28-2011, 12:28 AM
Ah! grasshopper, the reason why I would love to have the motor rebuilt is that I can have what the manufacture didn't put in it (heavy duty racing bearings, oversize piston, and valves) and slightly increase the power and efficiency without going to nitrous. The car is quick as all get out and this will just enhances the quickness. I drive the car I've done this to my 69 firebird and she moves out.

Firebird1
09-28-2011, 12:39 AM
Hello Todders 93, so you rebuild motors???? interesting?? Would you build the motor the way I would like to have it???? And what is your starting cost for a build? How many months will it take to build and tune the motor??? What part of MD are you located in??????

Stealthee
09-28-2011, 07:18 PM
Your car is non turbo right? You are not going to gain much power from "race" bearings, oversized pistons, and larger valves. You might pick up 3 hp from spending $2000-$4000 on a rebuild.

The only way you are going to see significant power in naturally aspirated form is to go 6G74.

Firebird1
09-29-2011, 07:42 PM
No, it has turbos. Did I mention porting and maybe new cams? You could be right. Maybe it's a waste of time and money to keep these cars running. I should buy and electric car$$$$$$$$.

toddrs93
09-29-2011, 08:39 PM
Hello Todders 93, so you rebuild motors???? interesting?? Would you build the motor the way I would like to have it???? And what is your starting cost for a build? How many months will it take to build and tune the motor??? What part of MD are you located in??????
yes sir, Hagerstown, MD
I'll build it anyway you want
Cost depends alot on what it looks like when we get it torn down and checked but for the shortblock, around $1500
and for the heads, $800
Probably 3 weeks to get a full motor done and have it back up and running

Firebird1
11-10-2011, 02:31 PM
Toddrs93, I may have to look into this options in the spring.....Certified Mechanic right? I have to see what my funds look like after the first of the year.

Add your comment to this topic!