Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Clr?

NSX
11-08-2001, 10:06 AM
what is a clr?
anyone have a pic

gang$tarr
11-12-2001, 08:30 PM
haven't you ever used CLR? i forget what the C stands for but you use it to clean... the L-lime, r- rust

lol, j/k :D this is a picture of a Mercedes CLR, i think it's a Lemans car

Jay!
11-12-2001, 08:31 PM
How is it different from the CLK-GTR?

gang$tarr
11-12-2001, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by jay@af
How is it different from the CLK-GTR?

i dunno, i just got the picture

actually, here's a website that explains the differences between it and the CLK-LM (The Lemans version CLK-GTR):
http://www.mulsannescorner.com/benz.htm

NSX
11-29-2001, 07:47 AM
holy sh!t
that's a nice car. What's the specs on it?
Also, the CLK-GTR has a different grille, without the symbol in the grille itself. It sticks out of the hood like the S class

Morpheus XIII
03-09-2002, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by gang$tarr
haven't you ever used CLR? i forget what the C stands for but you use it to clean... the L-lime, r- rust

C stands for calcium! lol...

Poor MB and their failed efforts at Le Mans. Forget rolling, I've never seen a vehicle so prone to flipping backwards. Perhaps this is why so many prototype racers are choosing open-car designs to further emulate an F1's aerodynamics (hmm.. Audi's best trick in the book?). Over and over again they flipped the beasts like a silver dollar; it's no wonder why they pulled out of the Le Mans series to focus their attention on the F1 campaign (which was lost to Ferrari the following year!). What is becoming of the Silver Arrow in the racing department?

MOE20
03-30-2002, 12:51 AM
but the CLK-GTR is a legend its priced it $1,000,000 (YA ONE MILLION DOLLARS US) there is also a car thats priced it $2.5 mil and the beautiful MCLAUREN AT $2 MIL
HAVE U GUYS SINCE THE BUGATTI VEYRON 18/4 OR THE LOTEC SIRUS
THEY HAVE MORE THEN 1,000 HP THE VEYRON HAS 1,001 AND THE SIRUS HAS 1,334 HP THAT A BUMMER 4 THE BEATIFUL LAMBO AND THE FERRARI

PLAYA_20
03-31-2002, 01:28 AM
FERRARI AND LAMBO R KICKIN IT THE BEST PROBALY AT 2003 WILL BE THE FERRARI AND THE BEST IN 2004 WILL BE THE LAMBO WHAT I SAY TOP OF GAME IN V-12

gang$tarr
03-31-2002, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by MOE20
but the CLK-GTR is a legend its priced it $1,000,000 (YA ONE MILLION DOLLARS US) there is also a car thats priced it $2.5 mil and the beautiful MCLAUREN AT $2 MIL
HAVE U GUYS SINCE THE BUGATTI VEYRON 18/4 OR THE LOTEC SIRUS
THEY HAVE MORE THEN 1,000 HP THE VEYRON HAS 1,001 AND THE SIRUS HAS 1,334 HP THAT A BUMMER 4 THE BEATIFUL LAMBO AND THE FERRARI

man what are you talkin about?? The CLK-GTR is 1.5 million and i mclaren is 1 million
and the veyron is actually called the 16/4 because it has 16 cylinders and 4 turbos on it

Morpheus XIII
04-01-2002, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by gang$tarr
man what are you talkin about??

I had a hard time figuring that out as well.

Morpheus XIII
04-06-2002, 02:53 AM
I've got a question that has been puzzling me for some time.

We know that Mercedes-Benz redesigned their LMP racecar and renamed it from CLK-GTR to CLR. We also know that the CLK-GTR has a traditional horizontal grille and upright silver arrow emblem, while the CLR has the less seen "big logo on grille" fashion, normally reserved for 2-door production models such as the SL, SEC, S-coupe, and CL.

My question is, was it MB's intention to have the CLK-GTR look like it was based on the production CLK, and the CLR mimic the production CL? The names match up the right way, but if you look at the rear of the CLR, it still has the CLK-esque taillamps. Perhaps they didn't feel it was necessary to change the rear to get the point across, much like Porsche when they revamped their 993-like LMP GT1 to have 996 features, they left the 993 A-pillars alone, instead of sweeping it back further a la 996.

Anyone have a definite answer? Here are some photo comparisons between LMP and production models:

CLK-class and CLK-GTR:

http://files.automotiveforums.com/uploads/557018clkfinal.JPG

CL-class and CLR:

http://files.automotiveforums.com/uploads/957897clfinal.JPG

Any thoughts?

Morpheus XIII
04-06-2002, 02:56 AM
Ouch. Results from flipping:

http://files.automotiveforums.com/uploads/437614mercfly1999.jpg

Pennzoil GT-R
06-09-2002, 09:15 AM
the CLK-GTR lightly resembles the CLK, and i think it may have also competed in either the FIA GT series or the LeMans series. The CLR is just the next generation of the racer, nothing to do with the CL. Not much is known about the CLR, apart from the fact it was a complete embarassment. The CLK-GTR road version was sold at $1,000,000, all of the 25 made losing money. They were sold because the regulations stated 25 production models had to be made and sold at $1,000,000 or less in order for them to be allowed to enter their race cars. The road going cars use the older 6.7 V12 used in 1997, putting out 612 hp in road trim. From 1998, a lighter weight V8 replaced the V12 in the race cars, but no road cars were ever made with this engine

1997 CLK-GTR with 6.7 V12
http://www.mulsannescorner.com/CLK-LM.jpg

1999 CLR with 6.0 (i think) V8
http://www.mulsannescorner.com/CLR99-6.jpg

gang$tarr
06-09-2002, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by Pennzoil GT-R
The CLK-GTR road version was sold at $1,000,000, all of the 25 made losing money. They were sold because the regulations stated 25 production models had to be made and sold at $1,000,000 or less in order for them to be allowed to enter their race cars.

The CLK-GTR was actually sold for 1.4-1.5 million dollars
More than a Mclaren F1

Pennzoil GT-R
06-09-2002, 02:13 PM
Mercedes sold them at 2.6 million deutsch marks before tax, which is 1 million British pounds, or about 1.3 million US dollars. You then have to add tax, which is where the extra 200000 dollars comes from to make 1.5 million. Sorry, i was getting pounds and dollars mixed up

Pennzoil GT-R
06-10-2002, 04:34 AM
i just found one of my old car mags with a test of the road CLK-GTR in. the engine is a 6.9 litre (not 6.7) V12, and it was sold at 1 million dollars. The GT regulations stated that 25 or more examples had to be sold at a price no higher than $1,000,000 US. so i have no idea where you r getting 1.5 million dollars from, maybe tax or importing costs?

Also, the CLK-GTR road car was not built mainly for LeMan. it was built for the FIA GT championship aswell, in which it won pretty much every race in the '97 season, before the V12 was replaced with the 6.9 V8 (6 litres was the maximum displacement allowed) in the 3rd race of 1998. The 2 Clk-GTr's entered in LeMan that year retired with engine failures, before Mercedes pulled out of the GT championship, and entered the redesigned CLR into the '99 LeMans

NSX
06-18-2002, 11:51 AM
[Bbefore Mercedes pulled out of the GT championship, and entered the redesigned CLR into the '99 LeMans [/B]

too bad the CLR is gone now too...:(

Pennzoil GT-R
06-18-2002, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by NSX

too bad the CLR is gone now too...:(

yep, it sure is. but after Audi just dominated Le Mans AGAIN with a 1 2 3 win, im hopin and prayin that maybe Mercedes will start thinking about a comeback:confused: :D :smoka: :silly2:

NSX
12-31-2002, 06:24 PM
maybe Mercedes will start thinking about a comeback:confused: :D :smoka: :silly2:

Well...they're not doing that good in JGTC and F1 yet...they should concentrate on those first.

modexotics
02-21-2003, 09:21 AM
Hey guys, guess I can help out here a little, since we have the contract on two clk gtr roadsters. Mercedes benz actually has little if any input, oversite, or any contact with the Road-going version of the clkgtr and the clkgtr roadster.
HWA AMG is producing and selling the vehicles.
HWA AMG is the race division of mercedes benz. However Mercedes has limited contact with this vehicle because they focus their marketing on the formula one team (Mclaren)
For this reason, there is very little marketing of the vehicles, as well as very few produced.
They are all hand made and made to order.
Contrary to what most people believe, there are no clk gtr roadsters in America. I know where four allocations are going and I know of one other person that is taking delivery on #4.
We have the allocation on #2 and #3. We have sold one of these and it is not finished for delivery yet.

As for prices:
CLK GTR coupes- I have proof that these have gone for well over 2 million dollars. Although now they can be bought for much less.

CLK GTR Super Sport. This vehicle was just offered to us by hwa amg. We are pricing it in the 1.2 million dollar range.

CLK GTR Roadster. Having 2 of these we are pricing them in the 1.5 million dollar range.

Mclaren F1, we have access to one of these and this is also gonna cost 1.5 million dollars.

Enzo, We have access to an enzo, and to compare prices, I have seen them aftermarket for anywhere from 1m to 1.5 mil.

Hope this clears some things up, if you have any questions let me know,
Tom
Http://www.modexotics.com
Tom@modexotics.com

Guido
02-25-2003, 01:32 PM
Some history background here.

In 1996 Mercedes was racing in DTM through AMG with their C-Class series. At the end of 96 Opel and Alfa Romeo pulled out of DTM so Mercedes was left behind alone with no DTM series anymore. Thus they decided overnight to take part in the FIA-GT series the year after and AMG build the CLK-GTR. Hence it's big succes they decided to build a CLK-GTR for LeMans which was the year after that developped into the CLR with the disatreous outcome. Flipping at high-speed (after losing downforce in running to close behind a competitor and alternatively pulling out of the event. (note: This also happened on several occasions with Porsche GT-1's, so not only Mercedes problem here)

Meanwhile Norbert Haug, Sport Director at Mercedes, was pushing hard to re-open the DTM series, which happened in 2000. Since DTM is in Germany far more popular then LeMans, it has a whole year visibilty where LeMans is only one race, it makes a lot more sence from a marketing point of view to invest in DTM. Audi however is running at LeMans with factory cars, whereas in the DTM, the Audi TT's are not workscars.

Also in the late '90s Mercedes was not heavily involved in F-1 as far as resources are concerned. Ilmore build the engines and badged them Mercedes. After Paul Ilmor died in a plane crash, ILMOR's management was cut in two and after that misfortune, McLaren and Mercedes decided to involve the engine builders in Stutgart more and more. Now Ilmor and Mercedes are sharing resources and now a lot of people from Mercedes are actually working on F-1.

Mercedes returning to LeMans? I don't think so. They have a DTM program through HWA-AMG and F-1 programme now. So why do all the investment. Makes no sence, does it?

bludnik
01-19-2004, 09:54 AM
check out www.carclassic.com for the real Mercedes cars... hehe... They are the exclusive HWA-AMG factory authorized export partner...

do you want an exotic car in Europe? Car Classic has 'em...

their mercedes departement: http://www.carclassic.com/html/MERCEDES.htm

Cockrocket
02-11-2004, 02:53 PM
just to clear a few things up
In 1997 the mercedes bezn clk gtr trounched the competetion in the FIA GT series and Bernd Schnieder won the championship, but the car did not enter le mans, to late. 25 road legal examples were made of this car. In 1998 mercedes developed the CLK GTR by giving it a V8 engine instead of the heavier V12 which chucked out just the same amount of BHP.They called it the CLK LM which also had a slighly lower profile and ultimatley lapped 2 to 3 seconds faster than the GTR. Only 1 road legal version was made. It had engine troubles at le mans and did not finish, but it got a 100%, 10 out of 10 victories in the FIA GT championship. In 1999 mercedes took the design another step further to create the CLR which was lighter, faster, more aerodynamicly efficient and looked gorgeouse. But asmost people now in the le mans on 2 occasions the CLR flipped at over 215mph due to a possible aerodynamic floor (which i think it unlikely as it had traveled over 25,000 miles in testing without this problem) or had a bad suspension set up (more likely as the le mans track was bumby, fast, slow and smooth, practicaly impossible to get a good suspension set up for all those problems) so when it went over a brow on the muslanne straight, it bounced a little to much (due to the suspension being realy tighte because it had a VERY low ride height) got to much air under the flat bottom of the car and took off. Those are the stories of some of my favourite race cars ever. Well i havent workd out how to put pictures on the post but here is a little guide to all the versions as it took me a good few years to distinguish between them all

1997 Mercedes-Benz CLK GTR racer Won the FIA GT series
Mercedes-Benz CLK GTR road car 25 made sold for £1.1 million
1998 Mercedes-Benz CLK LM racer Won FIA GT series/Lost Le mans
Mercedes-Benz CLK LM 1road legal version made.
(NOTE: The bonnet made lower for extra vents either side of windshield, ultimatly looks longer because it is not as high as the GTR)
1999 Mercedes-Benz CLR racer Lost le mans in a 200mph+ flip
No road legal versions made
(NOTE: looks extremely low and very smooth)

Pennzoil GT-R
03-11-2004, 11:46 AM
Some history background here.

In 1996 Mercedes was racing in DTM through AMG with their C-Class series. At the end of 96 Opel and Alfa Romeo pulled out of DTM so Mercedes was left behind alone with no DTM series anymore. Thus they decided overnight to take part in the FIA-GT series the year after and AMG build the CLK-GTR. Hence it's big succes they decided to build a CLK-GTR for LeMans which was the year after that developped into the CLR with the disatreous outcome. Flipping at high-speed (after losing downforce in running to close behind a competitor and alternatively pulling out of the event. (note: This also happened on several occasions with Porsche GT-1's, so not only Mercedes problem here)

Meanwhile Norbert Haug, Sport Director at Mercedes, was pushing hard to re-open the DTM series, which happened in 2000. Since DTM is in Germany far more popular then LeMans, it has a whole year visibilty where LeMans is only one race, it makes a lot more sence from a marketing point of view to invest in DTM. Audi however is running at LeMans with factory cars, whereas in the DTM, the Audi TT's are not workscars.

Also in the late '90s Mercedes was not heavily involved in F-1 as far as resources are concerned. Ilmore build the engines and badged them Mercedes. After Paul Ilmor died in a plane crash, ILMOR's management was cut in two and after that misfortune, McLaren and Mercedes decided to involve the engine builders in Stutgart more and more. Now Ilmor and Mercedes are sharing resources and now a lot of people from Mercedes are actually working on F-1.

Mercedes returning to LeMans? I don't think so. They have a DTM program through HWA-AMG and F-1 programme now. So why do all the investment. Makes no sence, does it?

911 GT1 only flipped once.

and the Audi R8C ripped its door off in 99 due to dodgy aerodynamics

jcsaleen
09-03-2004, 11:18 PM
A reanactment of what happend to the clk at le man ~ http://www.vehiclecraft.com/petitporsche.mpeg

VolvoAMG
09-18-2004, 02:42 PM
Are those CLK-GTR's actually street legal? I mean, they are LITERALLY a sports car, just like the Mclaren I guess. Are there any in the USA of any type at all? I wish I could see one in person. The Coupe version is one of the best looking cars I've ever seen.

bludnik
09-19-2004, 03:45 PM
Yes... They are legal... A roadster has been spotted in Monte Carlo several times... Silver...

Add your comment to this topic!