Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1999 Cherokee 4.0L Limited Won't Turn Over

redlegrich
06-08-2011, 07:32 PM
I have a 1999 Jeep Cherokee. It sat for about a year and the battery died (oooo big surprise). I had it jumped and it had a problem turning over. The tow truck guy said there might be issues with the alternator if it sat around for and lost power.

I replaced the battery and it started up fine, until now. When I turn the key it does nothing, not even clicking. All of the electronics and indicators work fine (although the hood light does not seem to come on).

Not sure why it just crapped out. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!

2000izusu
06-12-2011, 11:16 AM
double check the battery connections. especially if somebody else secured them.

fredjacksonsan
06-15-2011, 08:16 PM
Yup, that's the first thing to check. After that once you get it running, might be a good idea to head to an auto parts store that offers free battery and alternator testing.

bruff39
07-31-2011, 12:37 PM
Fred,

I had the same problem with my 98 Cherokee Classic. I also let it sit for about 2 years. All the electronics worked fine, air, windows, everything. I would turn the key.... and nothing. It was not turning over at all, no clicking, nothing.

I assumed what others have posted (battery connections, alternator). I checked all that, but still nothing. I then got under my jeep and bypassed the starter solenoid, and it started right up (only do this if you know what you are doing, don't electrocute yourself please).

This led me to believe that the problem was with the starter. Yesterday I replaced the starter, and it started right up with no problems. I know that Mopar has had issues with their starters and jeeps a notorious for electrical problems.

Good Luck

thinmints
08-02-2011, 10:33 AM
i had the same issue with my 96 and it would happen at the worst times, turns out it was the starter solenoid apparently over time a wear spot develops and if it happens to land on that spot there isn't enough contact for the starter to turn over

Add your comment to this topic!