Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

How do you feel about this? Ford 1.0 3 Cylinder with 8 Speed Transmission!

doug2060
06-04-2011, 03:48 AM
How do you guys feel about this? I think it's awesome... I want one now!

http://www.freep.com/article/20110603/BUSINESS01/106030332/1014/business01

Woodie83
06-04-2011, 04:53 AM
I think they need to lose the turbo, then put it into a truly small car. They're aiming this thing at Fiesta/Focus sized cars with 150 hp. I think they could design a modern tech one litre for near 100 hp and put it into something under 2000 lbs for some genuine mileage like the Metro gets. Unfortunately, buy the time it gets to the showroom, it will have remote powered ashtray heaters and airbags in the trunk "just in case you have your cat in there" and weigh 2500 lbs.

carpenter_jai
06-10-2011, 03:44 AM
I was already a metro driver when Honda released the Insight and Toyota a few years later with the Prius, I compared fuel consumption values and noted that for all the new technology and big price tags, the metro still gets about the same mileage as the Prius, and only slightly less then the 2 seater Insight.

Ford seems to be showing up late to the fuel efficient market. In fact, considering that Ford's average vehicle fuel consumption is still worse then the model-T (22MPG), I have had to wonder if there has been a policy to design them to waste fuel.

On the up side, at least this helps to push at least some of the boundaries that traditional auto manufacturing occupies. The more smart cars, hybrids, and other super efficient cars (Metros!) we have on the road instead of larger vehicles, the more common, and hopefully the more accepted this class of transportation becomes. This coming from a guy who grew up in a place where many migrate to so that they can drive a truck like everyone else.

Jai

f100240
06-19-2011, 11:56 PM
This is great news. Yes, it is too bad modern vehicles weigh so much-lawyers, I guess.
Ford has had high mileage vehicles for years in Europe. I wish we could get them here. Many of the European diesels get way better mileage than our Metros. Here's a compact car, the Ford Focus ECOnetic 1.6L TDCi diesel which already gets 56 mpg (US), the new version, a mild hybrid, supposedly to be rated at 67 mpg. Maybe optimistic like many ratings.
http://www.greencar.com/articles/fords-2012-focus-econetic-achieve-exceptional-67-mpg.php

I'm waiting, hopefully not in vain, for a reasonably high mileage simple Ford F 150 pickup.

f100.

Add your comment to this topic!