Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Front-end rebuild (how far should I go?)

auto89
05-14-2011, 05:51 PM
I have an '89 4x4 SR5 Xtra-Cab (bought new).

My control-arm bushings are worn out. I'm considering the replacing all the suspension and cab bushings using JackIt's "Super Kit."[1]

I figure while I have it apart, I should

- Replace the ball joints ($20 each at RockAuto, for a total $80). I don't know if my BJs are bad, but after 23 years and 160k miles, it seems like a foolish economy to try and get a little more out of them (assuming they have a little more left in them).

- Shocks. (I replaced them about 15 years ago.).

- The CV boots have been torn for 10-15 years. I haven't had it in 4-wheel drive in that time. Doubt I ever will. Is it ok to just replace the boots (considering my usage)? Or, for $30 more, should I replace the entire axle? I'm having trouble weighing the pros/cons of this. If I ever do 4-wheel, it will be just for short 100 yards. Not continuous driving.

- Should I do seals where the CV axles go in to front differential?

- I'll grease the wheel bearings. Should I replace those seals?

- I'll replace brake pads since they're about 10 years old. Is it worth the effort to rebuild slave cylinders while I'm that far into the front calipers? The master cylinder while I'm that far into slaves?

- Is there anything else that's worth doing when this far into it?

I don't drive this truck much. The only reason I'm considering this work is because, I know the worn bushings cause the tires to wear. Then I start down the slippery slope of everything else I should do, and wonder if it's worth it.

I have a lot of time. I could put it on blocks for 1-2 months. Is it worth doing all this work on such an old vehicle? It's in good condition for its age. Get's a lot of looks when I drive it. Is it possible it will start rising in value as a collectable when it's 25-30 years old? (That might cause me to justify the time/money).

[1] http://www.jackit.com/bushings/toyota_bushings.htm

fourwd1
05-14-2011, 09:45 PM
You really can't go wrong replacing any part on a 23 yr old vehicle.
If you don't intend on using 4WD you can probably get away with just replacing the boots. A $30 CV axle can't be very good anyway.
As for brake slave cylinders, do you mean the pistons in the calipers? If so, no unless any of the pistons are frozen.

Add your comment to this topic!