Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Wheels Chrome or not?

jackmalone2001
04-12-2011, 10:39 AM
Hello everybody!

Are the wheels that come on the Lucerne CXS actual Chrome or are they painted with a chrome-like paint?

Mine are showing signs of wear and the local wheel refurbish er says he wont work on chrome.

As always, thanks for the replies!

Jack

polarzak
04-12-2011, 05:57 PM
Mine are chrome. Mine were peeling on the insides even though I have taken extreme care of them. I took them off cleaned them up and removed the peeling and corrosion. Then I pained the inside with a chrome paint, and it seems to have stopped the peeling. The fronts look great and you cannot even tell that the insides are painted. These GM wheels are not a very good quality.

GMCustomerService
04-15-2011, 10:57 AM
I would be happy to look into this for you. In order to do so, I will need the VIN for the vehicle. It may be best to send it to me via private message. Thank you in advance.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

HotZ28
05-01-2011, 10:48 PM
Tricia, can you at least tell us where the wheel's are being chromed? Just be honest, would it be in Mexico, or China?

Wr_guy
10-09-2011, 06:42 PM
Mine are shot too. so bad they were leaking air!

I clean them every weekend.

Told GM and they did nothing.

I bought a set of new ones and use the old ones for snow tires with sealant.

I need to try the chrome paint.

Mine are chrome. Mine were peeling on the insides even though I have taken extreme care of them. I took them off cleaned them up and removed the peeling and corrosion. Then I pained the inside with a chrome paint, and it seems to have stopped the peeling. The fronts look great and you cannot even tell that the insides are painted. These GM wheels are not a very good quality.

Tech II
10-10-2011, 08:15 AM
Yeah, that chrome peels off, to a point where it can hit the calipers during rotation, and make a noise.....

These rims are expensive......

But, have seen GM customers complain, and have seen GM replace them.....this is a case where you have to have a Service Manager go to bat for you......and that will only happen, if you are a GM customer, who can show via repair records, that you bring your car to GM dealerships for your regular maintenance....

polarzak
10-12-2011, 05:39 AM
Well, I just took mine off to have a look at before the winter, and my paint job has stood the test through one salty winter and and rainy summer. Chrome on the outside is perfect, and the painted inside looks great. Even the areas where the chrome had peels off and I sealed with paint, there is no new peeling.

Wr_guy
10-12-2011, 10:33 AM
Just took mine out of storage and the chrome inside was nasty.

Sanded it off and painted it.

Hope they last the winter.

Wr_guy
12-16-2011, 10:14 AM
Well, I traded my car and now I have a set of 09 18" chrome wheels that are perfect.

They fit all Lucernes 06-11

I'm selling the car with the original wheels and keeping the new ones.

Anyone need a set?

Also have a set of like new Michelin Pilot Alpin PA2 winter tires with 5k miles.

Wr_guy
12-16-2011, 10:16 AM
Tricia, can you at least tell us where the wheel's are being chromed? Just be honest, would it be in Mexico, or China?

Mine were chomed in the U.S.

Sticker inside says "zoom chrome" or something in Michigan.

polarzak
12-21-2011, 06:31 AM

She will never get back to you. I see her on other sites asking for information to be sent to her privately, and that is the last time one hears from her. I think it is a scam, however if it is not, and she is actually helping people privately, then that is useless for the general forum users who may have the same problem. Frankly if I was the Admin of a site where this was happening, I would demand some proof of the posters credentials, without which, I would boot them off..
Rant over. Thank you.

GMCustomerService
12-21-2011, 09:24 AM
Hello all,

My name is Sarah, and I have taken over the account here on automotiveforums.com, for our department has been growing and there was a shifting of responsibilities.

I looked into the 2010 and 2011 Buick Lucerne ordering information and am seeing that on the higher trim levels the wheels are chrome-plated aluminum. The reason Tricia asked for the last 8 digits of a VIN was so that she could look specifically at your vehicle to see what it came with (which is still an option if you would like to send me a private message with that information).

Regards,
Sarah
GM Customer Service

polarzak
12-21-2011, 09:59 AM
Hello all,

My name is Sarah,

I think everyone who has chrome wheels know they are chrome plated aluminum.

Well, Sarah, perhaps you could still answer HotZ28's question? Where are they made? And now, please answer mine. Why do we have to PRIVATELY let you know what the VIN digits are and how come Tricia (and perhaps now you) never, EVER, post openly, a solution to people's issues? Never on the three Buick sites I visit. Hell, I get better answers from my dealer, and THAT is saying something.

GMCustomerService
12-21-2011, 10:44 AM
I don't have information on where the different parts for our vehicles come from, unfortunately; I can tell you where different vehicles from more recent models years are assembled, but don't have details beyond that.

I appreciate your question, polarzak, and hope that I can clarify. We ask for VIN numbers to be sent through private messages as this can identify your particular vehicle, and some of our drivers are uncomfortable posting this information publically. Additionally, we are monitoring many different threads across many different forums, Twitter, and Facebook through a search tool, and private messages are one sure-fire way of getting in touch with us. Also, the private messaging we do can quickly evolve to where we ask for contact information so we can set up Customer Assistance Cases, and these are all evaluated on a case-by-case basis. As the different factors we look at can vary so greatly, these discussions are best conducted through private message. Owners are, of course, always free to re-post those interactions.

Regards,
Sarah
GM Customer Service

polarzak
12-22-2011, 05:22 AM
I appreciate your question, polarzak, and hope that I can clarify. .

Regards,
Sarah
GM Customer Service

Thank you Sarah. Sounds like a reasonable explanation and so I will give you the benefit of the doubt.

Maybe you might be able to help me with a problem. On several sites I have posted that I have never had problems with my chrome wheels on my 06 Lucerne. Well, I have had a leak in one tire for several days, and when I took it in, and the tire was removed from the rim, the amount of corrosion and chrome flaking on the inner part of the rim was disturbing. It was repaired, a temporary fix I am sure, however I now suspect the other three rims are probably in a similar state and about to leak. Since it seems everyone has had problems with these cheaply made (but hell of an expensive option) has GM owned up to the fact these wheels are a problem and are prepared to made some adjustment for customers?

Thank you.

GMCustomerService
12-23-2011, 07:45 AM
From my resources, polarzak, I am not seeing any field actions on the 2006 Lucerne's wheels. I can check further into your vehicle's information with the last 8 digits of your VIN. However you wish to get that to me is fine. If you would like for me to follow up with your dealership as well, I am able to do so if you would please let me know where you went for your wheel repair.

Regards,
Sarah
GM Customer Service

Wr_guy
12-25-2011, 09:12 AM
Well, I traded my car and now I have a set of 09 18" chrome wheels that are perfect.

They fit all Lucernes 06-11

I'm selling the car with the original wheels and keeping the new ones.

Anyone need a set?

Also have a set of like new Michelin Pilot Alpin PA2 winter tires with 5k miles.

Still got these if you need them.

Located in No NJ.

polarzak
12-28-2011, 07:51 PM
From my resources, polarzak, I am not seeing any field actions on the 2006 Lucerne's wheels. I can check further into your vehicle's information with the last 8 digits of your VIN. However you wish to get that to me is fine. If you would like for me to follow up with your dealership as well, I am able to do so if you would please let me know where you went for your wheel repair.

Regards,
Sarah
GM Customer Service

Thanks for your reply. I was hoping there was some extended warranty or recall on those wheels. I haven't heard of any, and you have confirmed there is nothing. The wheel was repaired on a local tire shop, not the dealer. As a matter of fact the dealer I used to frequent was only of those closed in GMs recent dealer downsizing. Thanks, but I will live with it until the spring when I trade it in. Nothing personal Sarah, but after this Lucerne, I will never buy another Buick. Read my post "The Lucerne is no Buick" and you will see the trouble I have with this car from day one.

Add your comment to this topic!