Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Where is information on the Cadillac SLS model?

MrBruce
02-18-2011, 08:48 AM
Hello, this one is driving me absolutely crazy.

I have a 1996 Cadillac SLS NorthStar with a 32 valve V-8 DOHC 4.6 liter engine with front-wheel drive type vehicle that was brought to me for a CAM shaft replacement.

I do not know why, but everything I find regarding Cadillac or GMC, I do not see anything on a SLS series.

This is NOT a typo, The letters are SLS.

I see STS and DTS and so on every where I look, but NOTHING on the SLS.

I can not find any service manuals related to this series for proper engine repair and specs on clearances and torque on engine related bolts.

I have tried getting information from other automotive forum boards on which repair manual best suits this engine, with no results.

Does this series exist, or is this SLS not a Cadillac emblem?

If someone out there can please help me to understand, why even this forum has no category for the SLS series?

Can someone please explain why there is lack of information on this vehicle on the web and in auto parts stores as well?

This vehicle is here in the USA, I do not think this is a foreign import to the best of my knowledge.

Which repair manual best suits this vehicle?

Thanks for any help in advance.

Bruce.

maxwedge
02-18-2011, 03:02 PM
The sls is is lower trim model of the STS, the engine is still the N'star but somewhat less hp, same mechanicals for the drive train.

MrBruce
02-19-2011, 08:12 AM
So this would mean that the STS service manuals would apply to this engine also?

By the way thanks for your reply. :wink:

Bruce.

caddydaddy
02-21-2011, 08:30 AM
So this would mean that the STS service manuals would apply to this engine also?

By the way thanks for your reply. :wink:

Bruce.

For the most part, yes. Like he said, the SLS engine had less HP due to different cams, and the transmission final drive ratio is different than in the STS. Other than that, they are basically the same car.
These cars are really called the Seville. And there are two models of the Seville, the SLS and the STS.

MrBruce
02-21-2011, 05:38 PM
Thanks for all your replies, this was what I was beginning to think, but wasn't sure.

This vehicle does not have the name Seville on it, just 32V Northstar SLS.

I think you have cleared up a lot of the mystery for me.

Just wish the engine number in the VIN # was more accurate.

I heard GMC messed up with the engine type in their VIN numbers.

The 8th character in the VIN is Y.

Bruce.

Scrapper
02-21-2011, 05:49 PM
Thanks for all your replies, this was what I was beginning to think, but wasn't sure.

Bruce.

have you checked your tittle or regeration to see if vin numbers are the same. if not you have a big problem? my dad tought me well.

good luck..

caddydaddy
02-21-2011, 05:58 PM

It won't say Seville on it, but the actual name in advertisements and possibly the owners manual will say Seville SLS.

Bruce.

VIN 9 is the L37 from the STS. An SLS would have the 8th character of a Y which is the LD8 engine.

MrBruce
02-23-2011, 07:06 PM
Hmmm...VIN Y is the L37 from the STS. An SLS would have the 8th character of a 9 which is the LD8 engine.

The VIN # in the upper dash board area is the following:
1G6KS52Y7TU825505

8th digit is supposed to be the engine type.

For beginners I have the Haynes General Motors repair manual for the 1992 thru 2004 Seville #38032, the 4.6 L section of the manual is pretty accurate to this engine.

The cam that needs replacing is the left front intake cam.

That would be the one that the water pump pulley is pressed onto.

Bruce.

caddydaddy
02-23-2011, 08:16 PM
The VIN # in the upper dash board area is the following:
1G6KS52Y7TU825505

8th digit is supposed to be the engine type.

The cam that needs replacing is the left front intake cam.

Bruce.

I mixed up the VIN characters. The LD8 is VIN Y, so that engine is correct for a Seville SLS. If you are replacing the cam, be sure that it is from an LD8 engine pre-2000.

Scrapper
02-24-2011, 08:19 AM
have you checked your tittle or regeration to see if vin numbers are the same. if not you have a big problem? my dad tought me well.

good luck..

did you look at title tho and make sure vin number is the same? only other thing i'd know is they put diffirent moter in it. and if it came from a salvage yard they stamp the heck out of it before you take it. you may want to get a car fax because if your title like i say if vins not the same that's not good.

good luck..........

Add your comment to this topic!