Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2000 1.3L Metro no start after water pump replacement

vgames33
02-17-2011, 10:29 PM
My mom's 2000 Metro LSi 1.3L had a water pump failure. It ran fine when I took it apart, but it appears to backfire out the intake now and will not run. I did have the cam set to the wrong mark, but that has been corrected and double checked (everything online says that the engine is non-interference, but Mitchel's says it is, please confirm if you can). I have fuel (can smell it) and spark (wires were arcing to the head, but they have been replaced. Ignition coils are connected to 1-4 and 2-3. Tried starting fluid to rule out low fuel pressure, but it did not help. Compression is over 150 psi on cylinders 2-4, number one has a plug wire grommet stuck in the head so I can't get the plug out to check it. My scanner shows that I have an RPM signal, as well as MAP, TPS, IAT, and ECT. All appear to be normal during cranking.

In summary:

Can anyone confirm that the 2000 1.3L SOHC 16V engine is non-interference?

I have spark, fuel, compression, and timing in order, but the engine won't start. Any common items to check?

Metro Mighty Mouse
02-18-2011, 03:54 AM
I believe you have used the wrong mark on the pulley. The same gear was used for the 3 and 4 cylinder cars and marks for both are on the crank pulley.

Woodie83
02-18-2011, 05:56 AM
It is non-interference, no worries there. Sounds like a valve timing problem. Most common thing is to use the wrong mark on the cam sprocket. The locating pin that connects the sprocket to the cam must point straight down toward the crankshaft. Next common problem is that the crankshaft sprocket comes loose and shears the key off, so even though all the timing marks are right, the crank is not where the crank sprocket says it is. Take out one or four sparkplug (they both move together) and put a straw down the hole. Turn the engine until the straw is at it's absolute highest point. Then look at the crankshaft sprocket to ensure that the timing mark points directly at the mark on the oil pump case. It should be pointing straight up at the cam (not straight up at the heavens, as the engine doesn't sit straight in the car. This ensures that the crank sprocket is properly indexed to the crank. Then, align the "E" mark on the cam sprocket with the mark, ensuring that the pin points down at the crank.

vgames33
02-20-2011, 04:07 PM
Whoever did the belt previously had put the cam gear on the wrong locating pin, so the marks shown in the diagrams I had were backwards. I set it with the pin pointing down and it fired right up. Thanks.

Add your comment to this topic!