Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

srt-4 problems?

poopypants
05-25-2003, 04:44 PM
So this srt-4 sounds like fun car and im thinkin about getting one. I have heard a few things that make me hesitant though. First I've heard that the handling isn't that great. Second I have heard that they are having a lot of problems with engines blowing due to the fact that they didi not beef up any of the internals (i.e. pistons, rods, gaskets, etc). Can anyone fill me in with any information they have or any problems that they have already faced. Thanks

Polygon
05-25-2003, 10:40 PM
1. SRT-4s are doing pretty well in SCCA rally events so I would say they can handle pretty well. I would suggest an LSD and some new springs and adjustable struts.

2. Dodge wouldn't do something like that. That is something Ford does. Chrysler has a lot of experience in forced induction and have made some VERY bulletproof forged engines. I don't see why they wouldn't with the Neon.

I would say that what you are hearing are rumors and lies.

StevenLeveille
08-01-2003, 10:57 AM
The Dodge SRT-4 has been the best car I have ever had, I own a 1968 camaro with a 454 big block and have own a honda civic si and This of all cars has been the nicest and best drive car I have ever had. Ya there has been talkof engines blowing but when you have a car built for a younger group they are going to drive like a younger group and abuse the power they have been given. The car has only been out for 7 months and to abuse a car right of the showroom floor when the car has no miles it will blow an engine know matter what kind of car or truck it is.

arcdude
08-08-2003, 12:09 PM
Chrysler has more experience with turbocharged cars than any other manufacturer in the world. They have it down pat.

I don't have an SRT-4, but do own a PT Cruiser Turbo. The motor is almost identical to the SRT-4. This car is a blast to drive and has great boost from off the line to redline. No turbo lag at all. If you disengage the traction control and just punch it from a dead stop with no brake torquing, it smokes the tires big time. With the traction control on, it takes off like a rocket.

This is our second Cruiser. It is amazing how much more power the turbo version has than the standard 2.4. WOW!!

In addition, if you go to the Neons.Org board, you will meet many people who have added turbos to their stock Neons. Even the 1st gen Neons have solid engines that can take a lot of abuse and a lot of added horsepower.

DrAg-On
08-16-2003, 05:01 PM
wait till the 04 it'll have all bugs worked out by then I heard more power and torque, optional lsd and sunroof and new blue as color choice

nbr1nthuzyst
01-09-2005, 11:23 PM
"this car bight into corners like a pitbull"-Motor Trend
I have heard good reviews about the SRT-4's handeling, but i can understand where you have heard negative remarks about it:
1.)Front wheel drive
2.)2003 Models werent equiped with a limited-slip differntial.
The 2004 Models come equiped with limited-slip differentials, so that takes care of the major problem.
*Hope it helps*

TEXSRT4
01-11-2005, 10:07 PM
woah!!! who have you been talking too. some people need to stop driving cars - not you p.p. but whomever shared with you. the dodge srt4 handles well for a $20,000 car. and with a few tweaks will rock your world. try a 1.0 on the skidpad with coilovers, swaybars, strutbars, and a decent alignment.

next up. the only ones who are blowing up their cars are morons who mod improperly. i have nearly 300hp and more than 55,000 miles with no problems. the srt is packed with forged internals, well rods and crank. the pistons are hyper eutetic and are capable of taking more than 450hp with no real issues. most guys who are building large hp cars are just replacing pistons but are using stock crank and rods. there have been very few if any stock cars with blown gaskets. the only ones i have heard of having problems like that, were guys who pulled their heads off and didnt torque them down propperly. the SRT4 is a very well made car with very few problems!

dampachi
01-12-2005, 07:58 PM
Polygon..I know you said that two years ago...but whens the last time you heard of an 03/04 cobra motor blowing up?

TEXSRT4
01-12-2005, 09:05 PM
um...i had one in my shop not more than 8 months ago, with a big stinkin hole in the side of the block, a rod hanging out of it. it was funny. why the heck would anyone give their 16 year old kid a car like that?

dampachi
01-14-2005, 07:20 PM
Was it stock?

pre98zetec
01-15-2005, 07:13 AM
Polygon..I know you said that two years ago...but whens the last time you heard of an 03/04 cobra motor blowing up?:werd:

I guess he hasn't heard of 03 cobra block putting down 800+ whp on stock internals.

TEXSRT4
01-16-2005, 08:36 PM
you can put down large numbers if you tune properly ONLY!!!!!

Add your comment to this topic!