Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

How to remove the air tube to clean throttle body?

hhuytho
02-11-2011, 05:50 PM
Hi all,

I have a 2002 Buick Regal LS. I tried to clean the throttle body today but I could not pull the air tube from the throttle body (where I circled in red in the image taken from BNaylor's post). It's just too tight. Is there any screw or clip that I need to remove before trying to pull the air tube out? Please tell me if there is any trick or tool to make it easier. Thank you.

http://i619.photobucket.com/albums/tt279/Tho_Thanh_wedding/car/iac_01.jpg

BNaylor
02-11-2011, 06:50 PM
You can try using some soapy water (not much) where it mates up to the throttle body intake and then pull. Once you get one part started the rest should be easier. There is nothing else holding it on.

mn_1
02-11-2011, 09:32 PM
You can try using some soapy water (not much) where it mates up to the throttle body intake and then pull. Once you get one part started the rest should be easier. There is nothing else holding it on.It's kind of like a tire rim. You just gotta moscle it off.

danielsatur
02-11-2011, 09:39 PM
Nice picture!

Don't forget to clean the IAT, MAF sensors,and connectors with CRC MAF sensor cleaner.
After connectors are cleaned, you can use a dielectric grease for protection.

hhuytho
02-11-2011, 10:46 PM
Thank you for all your help. I will try to use some soapy water to force it off tomorrow. In the worst case, would there be any problem if I use something like a pry bar to pry the tube off?

I have cleaned the MAF sensor using the CRC MAF sensor cleaner but I didn't know that I should clean the IAT as well.

mn_1
02-12-2011, 12:38 PM
Thank you for all your help. I will try to use some soapy water to force it off tomorrow. In the worst case, would there be any problem if I use something like a pry bar to pry the tube off?

I have cleaned the MAF sensor using the CRC MAF sensor cleaner but I didn't know that I should clean the IAT as well.Don't need anything big as a prybar, screwdriver will work. It's stiff, work at it and it'll slide off.

hhuytho
02-13-2011, 03:18 PM
Thanks all. I was finally able to remove the tube and clean the throttle body. I just have one more question. When I looked at the tube, there was something like a white coating on the inside of the tube. Do I need to clean this as well? Thanks again.

mn_1
02-13-2011, 03:55 PM
Thanks all. I was finally able to remove the tube and clean the throttle body. I just have one more question. When I looked at the tube, there was something like a white coating on the inside of the tube. Do I need to clean this as well? Thanks again.May as well since your in there................

thetenfold
02-25-2011, 03:52 PM
I had a lot more trouble getting the arm back on than I did removing it. Then there was a screen in the way, go figure.

Add your comment to this topic!