Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1995 Astro Transmission Slipping

Dannoastro
01-27-2011, 02:37 AM
Please help.

snshddog
01-27-2011, 05:43 AM
The cheapest wishful thinking i have is to change the fluid and filter. I have seen filters with so much material stuck in them that it can't suck fluid. Even if that does get you through for a while it sounds like you are gona need a transmission or rebuild.

Leeann94astro
01-27-2011, 07:25 PM
If the fluid is burned and brown, you've got burned clutches and will have to rebuild the tranny. Sorry...

Easy48827
02-12-2011, 10:02 AM
I had to replace the tranny in my 95 early last summer. The van had over 220,000 miles at the time. My mechanic found a used trans at a salvage yard and works fine.

One thing I found out and should be noted-- the 95 Astro has a "stand alone" tranny. No other Astro trans will bolt in except one from a '95.

Scrapper
02-12-2011, 10:50 AM
Please help.
I have a 1995 Astro with about 85,000 miles on it. Bought it new. Earlier tonight I was about 3 or 4 miles from home. About halfway home I noticed the transmission starting to slip. After a few more blocks it got worse to the point I had to pull into a parking lot. I parked, turned the engine off and sat there a while. I started the engine but reverse didn't work so I shut the engine off again and let it sit a while. I was about ready to call for a tow truck. I tried it one more time and reverse worked just enough to back out of the space. I then put the transmission in 1 and was able to drive. I shifted into D and it started slipping real bad again and I had to pull over. I was now just a few blocks from home. After sitting with the engine off for a few minutes I tried it again in first and I was barely able to get home. It sits in my driveway now awaiting repair.

I checked the fluid and it smells a little burned and looks brownish.

I read a little about the valve body problems with the 1995 astros. Is this problem related to the valve body? Is this a major problem that will require a rebuild or is it something less drastic? Thanks Much! yes if it's burnt fluid tells it all tranny time.

Blue Bowtie
02-12-2011, 12:07 PM
There are numerous possibilities. Burned and browned fluid may not be a good indicator if the fluid has not been changed recently. It would be good to drop the pan and check the filter, pressure control/relief valve, and look for signs of excess metal in the pan. Measure the solenoid resistances and check the electrical connections.

A new filter and refill of fluid (about 5-7 quarts) followed by a line pressure test might reveal a lot about the problem. If pressure is normal you are likely looking at a teardown. If pressure is low there may yet be hope short of a fresh transmission.

When the vehicle is first started after a cool-down, do the ranges engage quickly and firmly? Is there hesitation between Reverse and Drive? Does the transmission slip when ranges are manually selected and manually shifted?

The loss of reverse, 2nd, and 4th are symptomatic of a sun shell failure, and when it's cold it MIGHT just bite enough to provide some driving torque. Are there any unusual noises in any of the ranges?

Add your comment to this topic!