Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Where is the water pump?

iwishuheaven
01-01-2011, 04:48 PM
I have a 1999 Ford Contour SE with a 4 cylinder engine. Does anyone know where the water pump is located? I have a coolant leak on the left side of the engine. I've heard the water pump is on the right underneath the batery, but I've also heard some say it's on the left side, which would coincide with my leak. I may try to replace it myself if it's pretty easy.

stv840
01-02-2011, 06:18 AM
:smokin:
The water pump is on the front of the engine the pully in the middle.
It's not to easy though you have to remove the motor mount and support the engine. If you do do it leave the belt on and remove the pully bolts first then remove the belt and then the pully then remove water pump bolts. you should torque all bolts as well.

Toolman56
01-02-2011, 07:54 AM
Hi, you did not say if its like for example a 4.9 , 4 cyl or a 2.2 4 cyl, for example, most these were sideways engine and not in front , like he said, most these engines run the the water pump off the timming belt assembly and too replace the timming belt at the same time , this not a do it selfer project, unless you have lots time on your hand, check other areas for leaks ,like ends of raditor hoses,small hose, clamp's ect, also never check engine with the engine or in hot cond, if there is a antifreeze leak and steam is escaping , get away from the steam , this steam is lethal and will kill you, always check for leaks with a cold engine, Everett.:cool:

jeremy06
02-11-2011, 08:10 PM
Hi, you did not say if its like for example a 4.9 , 4 cyl or a 2.2 4 cyl, for example, most these were sideways engine and not in front , like he said, most these engines run the the water pump off the timming belt assembly and too replace the timming belt at the same time , this not a do it selfer project, unless you have lots time on your hand, check other areas for leaks ,like ends of raditor hoses,small hose, clamp's ect, also never check engine with the engine or in hot cond, if there is a antifreeze leak and steam is escaping , get away from the steam , this steam is lethal and will kill you, always check for leaks with a cold engine, Everett.:cool:
The ford contour only comes with 2 different style engines the 2.0 4 cyl, and the 2.5 6 cyl, Also I have heard the 3.0 6 cyl also fits.....

jeremy06
02-19-2011, 12:00 AM
The waterpump bolts in behind the timing belt. My short describ.. Remove neg battery cable. Jack pass front, remove tire and inner fender plastic. Next remove drive belt and now place jack under oil pan and raise slighty. remove pass side engine mount. remove crankshaft pulley and and bolts holding timing covers on ( I think these were 8mm) remvove valve cover to place the piece of steel bar to hold the cams in place while you lossenen the timing tensioner and remove belt(timing belt) Between your lower idler pulley and the tentioner is the waterpump. Must remove waterpump pulley to reach all waterpump bolts.

Add your comment to this topic!