Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2004 Dodge 1500 Quad 4x4 Electrical help

dss56
12-28-2010, 11:39 PM
4.7 engine with 136 amp alternator.

Was out in the storm plowing Monday and had the heater going and the wipers,plow lights and beacon going. When I had to control the plow I would get check gauges on the dash and the battery meter was all the ways back to 0 volts. This would not happen all the time but enough times for me to ask if there is a solution. This only happens when I have to up/down left/right the plow. It will recover if I let sit for 15 seconds and then back to 14 volts.

The lights dim just a bit when this happens and the heater blower dips a bit also but not much.

I'm thinking of getting a new battery maybe a 1000 crank amps and hope that would help or a deep cycle battery.

I know I could get a bigger amp alternator but would that help I think a better battery would do better.

Any suggestions. Are there any other dodge trucks that might have the 160 amp alternator that might fit my 2004 1500 4.7 engine? I could get a used one.

Chris Stewart
12-29-2010, 06:37 PM
What amperage is the plow pump motor rated?
The intake heater on mine draws 88 amps and the voltage drops to 12v when the heater cycles....I'm going to replace the alternator.

Add your comment to this topic!