Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

where is back up switch?

javatrooper
12-12-2010, 08:57 PM
93' cherokee sport, auto trans, backup lights not getting power. Anyone know where the switch is? How about which fuse, if any? Thanks

Saudade
12-15-2010, 04:31 PM
The switch is part of the neutral safety switch. If you can remove it, you can easily clean it. Plenty of articles on how to do so.

javatrooper
12-16-2010, 11:18 AM
Just googled it and found a great article with lots of photos here.

http://www.bc4x4.com/tech/2010/jeep-neutral-safety-switch-nss/

Thanks a million. I just bought a toggle switch to wire it up to pass safety inspection, but this will be way better fix if it is the problem. Mahalo!

wrightz28
12-16-2010, 12:46 PM
Daaayum that's a good write up. Thanks for sharing! :thumbsup:

Saudade
12-16-2010, 08:37 PM
Just googled it and found a great article with lots of photos here.

http://www.bc4x4.com/tech/2010/jeep-neutral-safety-switch-nss/

Thanks a million. I just bought a toggle switch to wire it up to pass safety inspection, but this will be way better fix if it is the problem. Mahalo!

Yep. That's the good one. Nicely done. Let us know when you finish the job.

javatrooper
12-17-2010, 06:12 PM
Just a quick follow-up. Kudos to the guy who wrote the excellent article. I just have one extra tip that would have helped me out a little more.

Before you try to pry the unit out, completely remove the nut from the shaft and spray inside with WD40 or break free or whatever. If you re-install the nut to use as a pry point, screw it down almost all the way. I almost stripped the nut because my NSS was really stuck on and the nut popped off the last thread while I pried on it. The shaft can get real corroded. I also greased the shaft when i put it back on.

Sure enough, one of the spring loaded copper connectors was stuck down when I took it apart. Cleaned it up, greased it, and everything works good now. Not only can I pass my safety inspection but I can also see in reverse in the dark. Once again, Automotive forums and its members came through. Thanks again.

gruntsey
03-14-2011, 03:34 PM
The switch is part of the neutral safety switch. If you can remove it, you can easily clean it. Plenty of articles on how to do so.

A Thank You comment:

The reverse lights were not working when I bought my 97 Cherokee, and when the dealer gave me 2 quotes; to either clean it or replace it... I almost fainted. Came home and did a little research online and found you all.

The link I found for information/pictures of how to clean the NSS wasn't exactly the same one posted in this thread, but I did find my source here on Automotive Forums.

I was, and still am, grateful to have the information! Saved me hundreds of dollars and the reverse lights have been fine ever since.

Thank you, again.

Add your comment to this topic!