Is Oil Change Difficult?

gingerdusty
12-04-2010, 05:10 PM
When picking up my wife's 2011 Audi A4, I mentioned that I always change oil and filters on cars myself. The salesman said that may be difficult since apparently, according to him, a panal having several bolts has to be removed first.

I haven't crawled underneath yet, but have any of you and can you describe the process if it's different than just unscrewing the filter and loosening the oil plug?

Thnaks.

MagicRat
12-04-2010, 07:22 PM
Does Audi recognise at-home oil changes as being warranty approved?

Yes, I am sure you do a better oil change than the local Jiffy-lube but it would be a shame if you were denied a warranty repair over oil changes.

Here is a video of an oil change on an Audi where they unbolt a belly pan to access the drain plug. Perhaps yours is similar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hY9R86VuSsk

gingerdusty
12-01-2012, 09:21 PM
I can now answer my own question because I changed the oil and filter today.

The air flow panel under the car comes off easily with 7 or 8 screws that take a single turn to come out. The rear three stay in the panel while the others come completely off. On the 2011 A4, the drain plug is readily apparent. The oil filter is difficult to find, but once you find it, it's easy and not messy to get off. It's on the top right side under the plastic shroud that covers the top of the engine. The shroud just pops off by lifting it one side at a time and is reinstalled the same way. The can filter is upside down so no oil spills when you loosen it after draining the oil.

You can reset the service interval by going to the so called MMI screen, push "car" and scroll down to Service Interval.

But as near as I can find out, you have to go to the Audi dealer or maybe a quick oil change place to have the "Service Due" message on the instrument panel turned out. Hard to believe! The Audi dealer said they would do it on a complimentary basis. We'll see. If they want money, it stays. It just dings once when you start the car so it's not too bad.

Also, I bought the oil and filter at Advance Auto and the oil meets the VW 502 00 specification. Synthetic Castrol cost $9 a quart and the filter was $13. You can do better and several brands such as Total Quartz meet this standard at $5 a quart on line. It's actually not too much more to have the dealer do it, but I always wonder if they really change the filter and what kind of oil they put in it. The car only has 1800 miles on it and is two years old. They won't let you watch them work which adds to my suspicion.

gingerdusty
12-01-2012, 09:25 PM
I forgot to mention the warranty. Yes Audi recognizes do it yourself if you keep the receipts for the oil and filter.

gingerdusty
12-04-2012, 11:17 AM
The one item you cannot do at home is reset the "Service Due" message in the instrument cluster after an iol change. You can reset the service interval by going to the information screen. You must push the "Car" button, then scroll down to the "Service Interval" and you can reset it there.

But to extinguish the "Service Due" message, you must plug into the computer. The Audi dealer here did it on a free basis which surprised me, but then again, it only took them about 2 minutes to do it. It's clear that Audi really doesn't want you to do your own oil and filter changes. The 2011 Audi A4 doesn't even have an oil dipstick. You check the oil on the screen. I have heard that the dipstick was put back in the 2012 model due to complaints.

bmw328fan
02-24-2013, 12:38 AM
i head my friend diy handle that, so it's not so difficult.

jotto01
03-14-2013, 10:25 AM
There is absolutely not difficult or problem in change of oil for Audi A4, but always try to use Audi approved oils. All modern Audi engines are designed, engineered, and manufactured to exact tolerances using unique materials (alloys) to meet target performance requirements.

Add your comment to this topic!