Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

transmission probl.

army
11-03-2010, 12:37 PM
my wife's 2005 2.4 sonata. when the outomatic transmission is cold and in(d) the trany jolts when going from second into third gear once it warms up its ok but it takes around 15 minutes.if she uses the manual shift its perfect weather (cold or hot) has anyone experienced this on there sonata. the car has 150,000 km. the trans. shop wants to rebuild the whole trany and it is very expensive.why would it jolt when cold in (d) and shift perfectly manualy. any info on probable causes would be appreciated.

rallyman66
11-04-2010, 08:19 AM
Have you taken the car into a Hyundai dealer or just to a transmission shop? The dealer will be able to tell you whether there is any kind of software update available for the transmission that may address this specific issue or whether your car's software is up to date.

How long has it been since the transmission fluid has been changed? It doesn't really seem like it's a fluid issue given that it shifts okay in manual mode but it doesn't seem like you should be looking at a rebuild either.

If necessary I would think you may be better served by sourcing a low mileage used transmission rather than a rebuild of the one you have.

army
11-06-2010, 11:48 AM
i took it to the dealer they want to scan it do a few other things and by the time they tell me anything it will be 300 bucks without doing anything mehanical to it the trany place scanned it and there was nothing but i suspect that there will be other sonatas 2002 to 2005 that will have the same problem when they reach the 160km to 200km

Scrapper
11-06-2010, 12:07 PM
could be your tranny module just hope you don't have to rebuid yours or have to buy one. if you take it to a tranny shop then have check another one and see what they say but i would change tranny fluid and filter first, then take a magnet in old fluid and see how many meatal shavings are in it there will be some because of wear an tear but you run into a big chunk of meatal then you do have tranny problem.

army
11-06-2010, 12:20 PM
i changed the trany fluid 3 times within 3 months and every time i notice sludge at bottom of pan its like the clutches are wearig down which leads me to believe that the material they were made of is not tough enough and if thats true the 2002 to 2005 sonatas will have the same problem once they aproach the 200km i have a 1998 buick lesabre with 300km and the trany fluid has very litle sludge in it and drives great touch wood

Add your comment to this topic!