Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Very Hard to Start

OSUCowboy27
11-02-2010, 03:10 PM
1998 T100 3.4L 254K++++++

Plugs, wires, and fuel filter are OK

The truck turns over fine and trys to start but then immediately dies. I have to keep the started engaged for several more seconds to get it to start. Once started, it will only idle very rough. After about 30 seconds of this chugging, it will smooth out and it can be reved to 5000 rpm without any problems. It seems that the longer it sits, the harder it is to get started but only when engine is cold. When engine is warm, it starts great.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

fourwd1
11-03-2010, 01:14 PM
Start by seeing if any CEL error codes have been generated. Most parts stores will do it for free.
Then look at the cold start injector circuit and the fuel pump as possibilities.

jdmccright
11-03-2010, 02:29 PM
Hard starting when cold usually points to a clogged/sticking EGR or IAC valve, or may be a faulty coolant temperature sensor. Check these out along with the any stored trouble codes and post back with your findings.

OSUCowboy27
11-03-2010, 06:45 PM
There aren't any codes. I will check the the coolant temp sensor and see if a shot of starting fluid helps it start.

OSUCowboy27
09-04-2011, 10:04 AM
Update

Well, it started missing all the time several months ago without recording any codes. I put the code reader on it yesterday and it showed a miss on #1 and #4. I am thinking that the problem is with coil since it is the only thing in common with both cyliders. I swapped it with another coil to see if the computer records a miss in 2 different cyliders.

Add your comment to this topic!