Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

got a base 161hp 1998 gt, pls help!

3000gtfan
10-27-2010, 02:35 PM
its in good condition with 77k miles, i want to upgrade the engine exhaust but dont have any experience doing upgrades to cars. id like it to get up to sl hp or better if i can, i dont want race it on the track just want more speed for open road/casual racing, ive heard cold air intake and exaust are good places to start, anyone have any suggestions on other places to upgrade, what i should u grade first second third, what are good midgrade products for these upgrades, i basically need a crash course how to get started, again not trying to get extreme just want to add 50ish hp, thanks would appreciate any suggestions

Girly VR-4
10-28-2010, 02:26 PM
There's honestly really not much you can do.

intake, downpipe/exhaust, lightweight flywheel, solid motor mounts.... anything more than that, and you'll be spending more than your car is worth.

If you want SL hp, then you're better off selling your base, and buying an SL

Stealthee
10-30-2010, 04:04 PM
You're not going to add 50 horsepower with minimal mods. And honestly, you only need about 20 wheel horsepower to be equal with a SL. They are overrated and only put down 170 whp, whereas the SOHC's are underrated and put down 150 whp.

Intake might net you 1 whp. Catback exhaust wont really net you anything but noise. You could get a downpipe and test pipe which could get you around 10 whp. Other than that theres little you can do.

If you want significant power, you'd need to swap to a DOHC TT engine, but my honest opinion is keep the car close to stock and enjoy a reliable daily driver. Its not worth racing and beating on. Been there and done that. My SOHC can hang with and beat a lot of DOHC's, but its taken a lot of abuse and is not even close to what I would consider reliable anymore.

Add your comment to this topic!