Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Starter Problems???

papasmithnc
10-24-2010, 12:45 PM
I have a 94 SL with 108K adult driven miles. Are these cars known to have starter problems?

My car makes a strange noise like gears barely touching each other for a second or two on startup except a bit more tinny sounding. Anybody got any ideas or have the same problem? I mean it sounds like the starter is not fully disengaging from the flywheel maybe.

What do you guys think????

91STT
10-25-2010, 01:07 PM
sounds like the starter pinion or flywheel has worn teeth and not engaging properly

papasmithnc
10-25-2010, 03:52 PM
sounds like the starter pinion or flywheel has worn teeth and not engaging properly

Thanks for the reply. My observation is that the starter engages fine. No scraping or clicking at all. It just doesn't seem to want to let go right away

91STT
10-25-2010, 04:04 PM
if the pinion is not release immediately after you let go of the key, than there is a good chance that you need a new starter. it is binding for 1 reason or another. Is this an intermittent problem or is it consistent?

papasmithnc
10-25-2010, 09:44 PM
if the pinion is not release immediately after you let go of the key, than there is a good chance that you need a new starter. it is binding for 1 reason or another. Is this an intermittent problem or is it consistent?

Everytime. Is it hard to replace the starter in this car? Thanks for the help.

Dave in NC

91STT
10-26-2010, 11:29 AM
Everytime. Is it hard to replace the starter in this car? Thanks for the help.

Dave in NC

No, not difficult at all.
It is located in the front of the engine bay all the way at the bottom and you barely need to jack up the car.

papasmithnc
10-27-2010, 06:12 PM
No, not difficult at all.
It is located in the front of the engine bay all the way at the bottom and you barely need to jack up the car.

Thanks for your help.

papasmithnc
11-29-2010, 01:24 AM
Just wanted to confirm that replacing the starter on this car is a piece of cake. With the way most everything is wedged into this car, this was a welcome surprise.

Thanks for the help and advice

Add your comment to this topic!