Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

91 geo metro clutch adjustment

rulemob
10-18-2010, 03:03 PM
I have a 91 geo metro that is a manual and now its getting harder to shift into second gear and almost impossible to shift into first gear when you come to a full stop. To shift into first I have to put it in reverse then into first it will go. Is there a way to adjust the clutch or should i just replace it. The person that previously owned it replaced the clutch before i bought it over 40,000 miles ago? THANKS

Woodie83
10-19-2010, 05:08 AM
Could be that there is too much slack in the clutch cable. If you look under the hood, about midway between the battery and distributor, but lower down, you'll see where the clutch release arm connects to the clutch cable. The end of the cable is a big round nut that serves as the adjustment. If you can mover the lever with your hand more than a millimeter, the cable is loose. Tighten it up until the lever won't move, then back it off one turn.

That lever is known to crack on the other end where it clamps onto the clutch release shaft and slip, also the shaft bearings sometimes get dry of lube and sticky.

rulemob
10-19-2010, 12:22 PM
Could be that there is too much slack in the clutch cable. If you look under the hood, about midway between the battery and distributor, but lower down, you'll see where the clutch release arm connects to the clutch cable. The end of the cable is a big round nut that serves as the adjustment. If you can mover the lever with your hand more than a millimeter, the cable is loose. Tighten it up until the lever won't move, then back it off one turn.

That lever is known to crack on the other end where it clamps onto the clutch release shaft and slip, also the shaft bearings sometimes get dry of lube and sticky.

That worked thanks

Add your comment to this topic!