Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

How do you open brake line clips?

sixseas
09-25-2010, 06:23 PM
Hi, I have a 94 XFI one of the rear brake lines corroded and needs to be replaced. How do you open the 7 rectangular, plastic/steel brake line supports without damaging them?

carpenter_jai
09-26-2010, 05:02 AM
On the clips that hold brake lines to the control arms I like to use either a big flat head screw driver or even better a glazing bar (paint scraper). Use the force from the palm of your hand to hit the tool and pop the clip off. If you don't have a steady hand, you may want to use a dull tool as there is the risk of cutting a rubber brake line. For anything mounted under the car with bolts, there are 3 things you can do to get a bolt out. The easiest is to back it out with an impact gun. I have a cordless 14v that does the trick nicely. If the corrosion is bad enough that you're worried about bolts breaking than shoot them with some penetrating lubricant ahead of time and use a torch to heat the bolts up. Be careful not to allow plastic parts to get too hot.

Jai

sixseas
09-26-2010, 12:18 PM
I havent found those yet but suspect I will. The clips I am having trouble with are under the floor board passenger side. 6-7 of them black plastic encased in a steel wrapping. I wanted to open them rather than ruin them I cant slide the metal sleeve off to get the screw I assume holds the plastic to the floorboard. Is it possible they are held in with just push on things?

sixseas
10-12-2010, 11:39 PM
Thanks that helped allot I used a old bent one, and a small screw driver ro pop the metal insert and relieve tension on the metal holder. Im good to go now all clips came off without damage.

Add your comment to this topic!