Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

93 grand cherokee limited wont start

jaggar80
09-18-2010, 07:56 PM
I have been having a problem with my jeep starting it is a 93 grand cherokee limted with a v6 4.0L it will crank but wont start if i crank it and pump the gas after while it will start but have many turns of the key and my check engine light comes on if anyone can help i really appreciate it thank you

fredjacksonsan
09-19-2010, 08:01 AM
How many miles?

If it's been more than 30k miles since you changed the spark plugs, cap, and rotor, I'd start there. Also, what is the condition of your plug wires?

If you've already done all that and still have the problem, have a read here:

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=687635

I know it's the Cherokee forum -- but the 4.0 is the same in both models.

lazer2463
09-19-2010, 09:08 AM
What codes are you getting? That's where to start.

jaggar80
09-19-2010, 01:20 PM
I havent been able to find any codes i changed distributer cap, rotor, temp sensor, throttle body, tps, and still if i want it to start i have to pump the gas har and it will start after about 5 or 6 pumps usually i have no idea what else to do. i checked fuel pressure and i have pressure i changed the fuel filter and still the same problem i am lost

jaggar80
09-19-2010, 07:22 PM
Now i am having more of a problem starting it and i have lost transmission shifting it is stuck in first and wont shift also it is sputtering when i drive it please i need all the help i can get

muffyman1
09-22-2010, 12:16 PM
i had a similar problem on my 94 grand cherokee limited. found out it was the cam position sensor. as far as the shifting goes, mine was having a problem with not shifting into higher gears and it turned out that the body control module had a plug that was not seated properly. that took care of it. good luck.

fawalley
10-04-2010, 08:00 PM
Pumping the gas may seem like it helps but doesn't really do any good. It's a throttle body setup not a carburetor.
If anything just hold the fuel peddle open an inch or so. Don't back off. Crank it. If it runs while holding the peddle open fine. DON"T BACK OFF but don't over speed the engine either regulate your rpm's. Now take your foot off, If it stalls... IAC

dornier34
10-24-2010, 01:14 PM
crankshaft position sensor, you can remove easily just you need a 10 mm. with long extension ,socket and the rachet just one small bolt , this is located behind the engine in the top driver side of the transmission good luck Byron

Add your comment to this topic!