Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

TVR Griffith

crayzayjay
11-05-2001, 07:59 PM
This is the car that started it for TVR..
ive attached a few pics... despite the nice photography, i dont really like the way it looks.. what do u think?

cheers
jay

crayzayjay
11-05-2001, 08:03 PM
this one's going skiing.. driving a TVR on ice? thats just nuts! :silly:

crayzayjay
11-05-2001, 08:05 PM
and finally rear view.. nice azev alloys :)

dejoux
11-05-2001, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by crayzayjay
This is the car that started it for TVR..

Not really, It was the start of its resurgence but it had been going and was popular for decades before that.

crayzayjay
11-07-2001, 01:35 PM
That's pretty much what I meant ;) ; it was the car that got things going.. TVR haven't looked back; they're doing very well for themselves now..

cheers
jay

USA Racer
02-06-2002, 03:41 PM
I love them. Wish they would sell where I live. That 5.0 is coooooooolllllllllll. Nice sounds too.

Gonthrax
04-28-2002, 01:41 AM
I like it, it's one of my favorite british cars. To bad I haven't gotten to see one in the flesh :(

crayzayjay
04-28-2002, 09:32 AM
common as muck around here.. ok ill stop teasing :D

Gonthrax
04-28-2002, 12:56 PM
common as muck around here.. ok ill stop teasing :D

Noooo :( :flipa:

All the neat cars we have around here... I've seen to many of um, and they arn't neat any more( Z06, Viper)

crayzayjay
04-28-2002, 07:56 PM
well we dont see many vipers or 'vettes around here if that makes you feel any better

Gonthrax
05-01-2002, 01:12 PM
well we dont see many vipers or 'vettes around here if that makes you feel any better

Thanks for the effort, but it doesn't :D:p

crayzayjay
05-01-2002, 03:15 PM
we dont have yugos either ;)

jsb88
06-22-2002, 10:23 AM
not bieng biast or anything.

Grendel
06-22-2002, 10:41 AM
Kinda reminds me of a Miata...

Looks like a neat little car, something a girl would drive or something... whats the hp on that thing?

-Grendel

ZondaFreak02
06-22-2002, 01:49 PM
i like the back of it but the front .. there is somethign about the headlights that i dont like. And for the comment of taking the TVR on ice.. in the making of the new James Bond movie they took a Aston Martin V12 Vanquish to Alaska and raced it with a Jaguar XK8..now thats insane

crayzayjay
06-22-2002, 05:33 PM
Grendel>

well looks have certainly deceived you for this is no girly car whatsoever. In fact, its as raw as it gets. The Griffith 500 has 320 bhp in a light body, RWD, no electronics whatsoever, or ABS, a purist's fantasy of what a sports car should be. Wild handling, difficult to tame. And above all, a true man's car :smoker2:

Grendel
06-23-2002, 12:20 AM
Grendel>

well looks have certainly deceived you for this is no girly car whatsoever. In fact, its as raw as it gets. The Griffith 500 has 320 bhp in a light body, RWD, no electronics whatsoever, or ABS, a purist's fantasy of what a sports car should be. Wild handling, difficult to tame. And above all, a true man's car :smoker2:

Sounds cool... and fast as hell... how much do those things run?

-Grendel

crayzayjay
06-23-2002, 08:49 AM
TVR Griffith 500
5.0 V8
320bhp@550RPM
320lb ft@3750RPM
1060kg 307bhp/ton

0-60: 4.8
0-100: 11.2
Top Speed: 167mph

a few words from an owner (from carsurvey.org)

==========================================

What a car! Sounds like nothing else on earth (blip the throttle anywhere and at least forty heads turn), and the performance is just plain ridiculous. Will happily light up the back tyres in the dry in first and second (and third on one famous, nappy filling occasion), and tries its hardest to kill you every time it rains! But there isn't another driving experience like it.

Fuel consumption isn't too bad - I average low 20's which is outstanding for a massive prehistoric V8, and for a 4 second-ish 0-60 time. You can hit single figures on track days though! :(

Reliability too is okay, although dealer work costs a small fortune! One of the things that packed up was the stereo, and I didn't notice for two weeks - that's how good the car sounds!

In these days of automotive anonymity, boring tin boxes and EC drive-by noise regulations, it's good to see at least one manufacturer having the balls and the soul to build something like this. It's crude, loud, evil and often downright scary. More importantly though it's stupidly fast, gorgeous to look at, sounds like a million dollars, and of course, it's 100% British (yes, I know the engine was originally from Buick, but it's barely recognisable these days!)

The Griff' is a car you buy totally with your heart. It's a total animal and I love it to bits!

==========================================

I dont, but im glad it exists

cheers,
jay

ZondaFreak02
06-23-2002, 11:23 AM
now that is one obsessed owner...

i love it to bits???

that is scary:eek:

crayzayjay
06-23-2002, 06:28 PM
i dont think so... he's true car nut as far as im concerned... i love many cars is that weird?

YellowMaranello
06-23-2002, 07:53 PM
It's not TVR's best looking car, but it still looks good to me. And if I had it, I would love it to bits too. Guess I'm a little bit scary as well, oh well.

jsb88
09-18-2002, 03:18 PM
These are very good cars! There is no reason to have anything against them at all.
A posche loving friend of mine says that he owuld never buy one:

NO AIRBAGS!
NO SIDE IMPACT PROTECTION SYSTEM!
NO ABS!

(IN A SQUEAKY VOICE)

but who cares, they are better than his porsche any day!

crayzayjay
09-25-2002, 09:39 PM
I bet your XK8 has ABS, side impact protection, and multiple airbags. Do you say that in a squeaky voice as well, tough guy? :smoker2:

Fact is, as much as TVR repeat over and over again "we make cars for heterosexuals", there's nothing wrong with having an airbag to back you up if you slide off the road or plough into another vechile... With cars as wild-handling as TVR's, i think airbags and side impact protection would be two very good ideas.

its nice to have a challenging car to drive, but that doesnt have to mean the minimum of safety precautions; thats just stupid... if you want to call yourself a tough guy and say you love danger, jump off a cliff..

jsb88
09-26-2002, 02:09 AM
People who buy these sort of cars though, have no regard for their actual safety when driving, they just want to go fast in style. All 3 people I know who own them just call it a downside, not just an "I wont drive it" factor.

993cc Man
03-05-2003, 11:27 AM
The Griffith!
What a sound! You can hear it in down town traffic noise coming from three blocks away! Difficult to describe. Not the high pitched scream of a Ferrari 355/360, not the deep grunt of an american V8 but something of both! More like a really pissed-off-fire-breathing dragon!

No, this is NO girly car!

And as far as looks are concerned, for what it's worth it won a British Design Award in the automotive category back in 1992 or 1993. Anyone who lived in London back then can confirm that there was a Griffith displayed in the offices of the organization that hand out these awards every year. It was somewhere close to Piccadilly Circus.

993cc Man
03-05-2003, 11:31 AM
here is a better picture

farbod
04-03-2003, 01:48 PM
hey look at my car its a griffith and i love it only got it a little while ago

http://www.autotrading.co.jp/1.0/TVR/rjjvqh0000011h0g-img/rjjvqh0000011h6d.jpg

YellowMaranello
04-04-2003, 04:13 PM
Is that really your car? It looks fantastic!:D

farbod
04-05-2003, 02:42 AM
thanks it took me a while to find the right one

The_British_Lion
10-06-2003, 07:25 AM
Trevorís (as they are lovingly called over here), are unique and absolutely fantastic to drive.

They are not too expensive either! And, you have the uniqueness of them being hand built! They look even better in the flesh! They have presence that only Aston Martins can communicate!

I like them very much!

There is no creature comforts like EBD ABS power steering (although the steering is now being introduced) what you get is what you get. Hardcore sports car!

With a Porsche or something like that, a dithering old man smelling of wee could take it to the max around Britainís country lanes and still live to tell the tale! With a Trevor, you need to be very skilled indeed! Now Iím not saying its bad to have all those tricks in your car but, at the end of the day, sports cars are always compared to their ancestors, and people always went the old traditional nail biting thrills thatís current modern cars tend not to offer.

Gripping is different also, with a Trevor it grips like nothing else, with a Porsche it grips as good but you have all that electronic bollocks that goes with it! Must admit, the Porsche is more forgiving, if you make a mistake it will do a nightrider on you and steer itself, with a Trevor youíd be dead!

With a Porsche its: Grip Grip Grip Grip ABS ABS Grip EBD Grip EBD warning warning Gone!

With a Trevor its more Grip Grip Grip Grip Grip Grip Grip Grip Your dead (mutilated in fact)

TBL

jsb88
10-06-2003, 09:07 AM
Very true... TVR does have a great presence, you know when one is near you with the booming engine and beautiful curved looks. :smokin:

crayzayjay
10-15-2003, 03:59 AM
With a Porsche or something like that, a dithering old man smelling of wee could take it to the max around Britainís country lanes and still live to tell the tale! With a Trevor, you need to be very skilled indeed! Now Iím not saying its bad to have all those tricks in your car but, at the end of the day, sports cars are always compared to their ancestors, and people always went the old traditional nail biting thrills thatís current modern cars tend not to offer.

Gripping is different also, with a Trevor it grips like nothing else, with a Porsche it grips as good but you have all that electronic bollocks that goes with it! Must admit, the Porsche is more forgiving, if you make a mistake it will do a nightrider on you and steer itself, with a Trevor youíd be dead!

With a Porsche its: Grip Grip Grip Grip ABS ABS Grip EBD Grip EBD warning warning Gone!

With a Trevor its more Grip Grip Grip Grip Grip Grip Grip Grip Your dead (mutilated in fact)

TBL

Nail biting thrills? The 911 GT3 outclasses any TVR.

jsb88
10-27-2003, 10:16 AM
Not on a price - thrill ratio though, considering the fully loaded top models come in a shade over £80,000 i believe.

crayzayjay
10-29-2003, 08:09 AM
TVR's indeed offer plenty of bang for your buck but none of them would tempt me out of a Porsche especially a GT3. The new T350 is great though :)

Guyanson_Mendiola
11-13-2003, 01:13 AM
the Griffith is alright but i like the Speed 12 :iceslolan , a chameleon looking color is nice looking on it. :naughty:

The_British_Lion
11-13-2003, 06:41 AM
The reason for buying these cars is simple. To make a statement about yourself, your company or successfulness etc. The Trevor tells a lot about the driver and his/ her ability to be different and the Porches (all of them, as they look the same) tells the public that you slightly better than the rest but not that different as you are trying to fit in with the crowd, buying what everyone else buys when they have some money! You know, the common sports car!

Do yourself a favour, and get in a Ďrealí sports car and enjoy what its like to actual drive a sports car!

TBL

jsb88
11-13-2003, 08:08 AM
It shows that you are either a pro or like the element of danger when you drive if people see you going really fast. THE ULTIMATE FEEL GOOD FACTOR!

crayzayjay
11-14-2003, 04:33 AM
The reason for buying these cars is simple. To make a statement about yourself, your company or successfulness etc. The Trevor tells a lot about the driver and his/ her ability to be different and the Porches (all of them, as they look the same) tells the public that you slightly better than the rest but not that different as you are trying to fit in with the crowd, buying what everyone else buys when they have some money! You know, the common sports car!

Do yourself a favour, and get in a Ďrealí sports car and enjoy what its like to actual drive a sports car!

TBL
:rolleyes:
Having a sports car doesnt make you "better than everyone else. And why would people buy Porsche's to fit in with a crowd? When you have money the first thing you want to do is differentiate yourself from the crowd. People buy Porsche's because they're great sports cars. Simple as that.
TVR's may have lots of grunt but that doesnt necessarily make them great sports cars. Porsche is the most successful racing company of all time and has made some of the best cars of all time, a tradition which continues to this day with the 911 GT3, GT3RS and Carrera GT. Even a basic 911 is a terrific sports car. As is the 911 Turbo, or the Carrera 4S. The often frowned upon Boxster (by people like you, no doubt) is constantly voted best roadster for its incredible balance and driver involvement. Ahead of TVR's, might i add.
Now stop being so narrow minded please, we all have our preferences so lets leave it there, thank you.

White Riot
11-24-2003, 06:25 PM
Tamora eats Boxsters for Breakfast !!!!
Wasnt there a test between the two but it couldnt go ahead cause TWO! Boxsters where having mechanical problems,

White Riot
11-24-2003, 06:28 PM
Now to the griffith,
5 litre is my fave.
there is some good vids on www.tvrbliss.co.uk
of his Griffith going through country lanes, getting held up by sloow sundays drivers, even the slightest gaps he manages to over take others.
And when he starts t up !!!! man looks like the whole garage started moving too !!!

Live4speed
10-02-2006, 05:53 PM
On a bangs for your buck basis a TVR will hammer it's respective Posche, howerver as avid a TVR fan as I am I have to concede that the respective Porsche is better built. Though the TVR would be my personal choice I would not impose it on others. As for the Griffith it is imo hands down one of the nicest looking cars ever built.

Add your comment to this topic!