Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

rumor i am hearing!

arthur12187
05-17-2003, 06:34 PM
i herd john delorean was a drug dealer when he was making the dmc 12's. is this true? i dont know? i am not trying to start something but it's what i herd from books and mags.

Heep
05-17-2003, 08:10 PM
Didn't you see the response last time you asked?

Read the article here, it explains it (http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/t1601.html)

duat
05-20-2003, 01:09 AM
No, he wasn't. I own two Ds and just completed a ground up restore on one. Trust me, I know something about the car and John D's history.

skylinegtr34
05-24-2003, 08:55 PM
Yes he was selling drugs and was busted for it. It’s a really sad story he did it to save his company. I don’t think he went to jail over it though he got off on entrapment by the feds.

http://eightiesclub.tripod.com/id242.htm
http://www.babbtechnology.com/books/Maverick/

DMC12
05-27-2003, 11:56 AM
If he was selling drugs, then only God knows about it because he is innocent according to the US government, his family, the man himself, all his friends, everyone who knows him, etc.

The drug charges were fraudulent, whipped up by his enemies to put him out of business. Ireland was never known for cocain production, so the story of him transporting it from there to the US is kind of silly if you ask me.:frog:

duat
05-28-2003, 01:13 AM
Delroean was framed. In fact, the head DEA agent on the case was so disgusted by the setup he resigned and testified for the defense. (In an odd twist, this same man recently murdered his business partner and then commited sucide.) Delorean made some poor judgements in a desperate attempt to bail out DMC but he never ran drugs.

badassgremlin
07-17-2003, 07:40 PM
from what ive heard he was busted w/cocaine:confused:

s_ikari2015
07-28-2003, 08:03 AM
The Debarkle surrounding John Delorean's run in with the law when it comes to drugs is effectively what caused the DMC to go out of business.

They had designed a car to compete on the field of the New Porsche (911) and the new Jaguar of the day... It really was a remarkable car and was also much more affordable...
It is obvious today that he was framed in order for him to be run out of the market...

It has happened so many times... The Tucker Torpedo for example.... great car... hand built... from memory 50 only ever made... General Motors had Tucker killed. A show room condition Torpedo today is worth in excess of $300,000 US
really cool third headlight... turned with the front wheels :bigthumb:

badassgremlin
07-28-2003, 09:38 AM
lol this is all so funny because my dad was at one time friends w/john delorean's brother who refused to speak with john ever again after his run in with the law:frown:

harryglorydays
03-08-2008, 02:54 PM
The Debarkle surrounding John Delorean's run in with the law when it comes to drugs is effectively what caused the DMC to go out of business.

DeLorean Motor Company was effectively out of business well before John D's arrest. I know - I worked for the company as East Coast Tec Rep. The winter of 81-82 was one of the coldest on record in the Northeast and that casued sales to dry up. The company never was funded properly and when Bank of America took away their financing program in March/April 82, they had to lay off almost the entire staff (including myself).

This led John to look for any and all alternatives to financing the cars from the tie they left Ireland to when they were delivered to the dealers. Eventually, he found himself in a hotel room trying to sell cocaine to the Feds. But, by this time the company was already on life support and probably couldn't have been revived anyway.

'97ventureowner
03-08-2008, 03:47 PM
Please check the date of the last post in the thread and avoid posting in it if it is longer than 3 months from the current date. You can start a new thread if you have something new to add.
Closed.

Add your comment to this topic!