Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2002 mountaineer start/run issues

radioralph
08-16-2010, 07:06 PM
2002 Mountaineer 4.0 ,85,000 miles,2wd,auto...will start,but runs very rough, I have checked for codes,there are none,I have checked fuel pump fuse and relay,they are O.K.,fuel pressure is 60..I disconnected the 2 wire connector from the crankshaft position sensor and tried to start...the engine turns over but will not start,reconnecting the 2 wire connector to the sensor and the engine starts and runs as before.Does this remove the crankshaft sensor as the problem?Can the ignition coil be checked with a digital volt,ohm meter?Can the camshaft position sensor be the problem? Your suggestions,advice are welcome.

shorod
08-17-2010, 12:14 AM
I'd suggest you start by checking for vacuum leaks. In particular, the PCV elbow and the intake manifold gaskets.

-Rod

radioralph
08-17-2010, 10:19 AM
Thank you for your reply...the PCV,elbow and hose appear to be O.K.this problem started without any warning,I started the vehicle to move it to mow,it started and ran fine,started again approx. 1 hr later and the problem started..after checking the PCV I started the vehicle,it started and ran to 1800/2000rpm decreased to approx. 500rpm and I cut it off,the engine turns over more noisy and runs rough, spits and sputters,I rechecked for codes with scan tool,there are none.I am going to attempt to check the coil...your suggestions,ideas appreciated.

shorod
08-17-2010, 01:06 PM
Since you mention that when the engine turns over if it more noisy, have you checked the oil to make sure both the level is fine and there isn't any evidence of metallic particles in it? Other than that, your symptoms still sound like a vacuum leak.

-Rod

radioralph
08-17-2010, 01:30 PM
Rod,..yes I have checked the oil level and it is O.K.,and oil is free of any contaimation,I have applied Vacuum to the port on the EGR valve and the valve holds vacuum,does the eliminate the EGR as the cause? I have checked all vacuum lines,hoses that I can see and all seems OK.How do I test for intake manifold leaks?the engine really shakes when it is running.

shorod
08-17-2010, 08:31 PM
The EGR holding vacuum is only part of the EGR test. You should apply vacuum with the engine running. If the engine stalls as soon as vacuum is applied, that would suggest the EGR valve is functioning. If you apply vacuum to the valve and there is no change in the way the engine runs, either the EGR valve is stuck open or you have a vacuum leak so large that the EGR opening has no effect (not likely).

-Rod

radioralph
08-26-2010, 04:03 PM
update....The problem is caused by broken timing chain on drivers side....there was NO warning......no previous engine noise,I did all the oil and filter changes myself,the vehicle has never ran hot...are there any factory recalls dealing with this issue?

shorod
08-26-2010, 08:21 PM
Eeeek! I'm sorry to hear that. I'm not aware of any recalls but timing chain tensioner guides have been known to cause issues. You may want to search around on the more active Ford Explorer forum to get some ideas what you might be up against.

-Rod

radioralph
08-27-2010, 06:43 AM
Thank you for your replys..I have read a number of other posts with the same or similar problem,but it is almost unbeliveable in our case because we owned the car since new and all maintenance was done as scheduled,I even kept a magnet on the oil filter and checked for metal in the filter. I am considering installing a used engine,have found a 2002 with 42,000 documented miles..can a later 4.0 be swapped/installed without any issues,do all engines of this period,2002-2004,have this problem? Thank you

dornier34
09-07-2010, 10:15 PM
I have 2001 mercury mountaineer same problem ,cranks but don't want to start up no spark from the coil , fuel pressure ok , .
any ideas , the crankshaft position sensor where is located this sensor?, how about the camshaft position sensor? do you think I have to replace the all 2 sensor? camshaft and crankshaft .any ideas will be helpful thanks dornier34.

shorod
09-08-2010, 06:28 AM
I'd certainly suggest you start with the crankshaft position sensor (CKP), it's known to be a pretty common issue and would cause no spark. I wouldn't expect the Camshaft Position Sensor (CMP) to cause a no start condition. If you have the V6 the CKP is located at the crankshaft pulley.

-Rod

radioralph
09-08-2010, 08:49 AM
My no start was caused by a broken timing chain on the drivers side,this is an interference engine,I removed the spark plugs to make a compression test and I had 10 psi,35 psi and 90 psi in the 3 cylinders. If I am reading your post correctly you stated you had "no spark".A repair manual will assist you in troubleshooting the ignition system ,good luck..RadioRalph

dornier34
09-08-2010, 09:52 PM
Thanks Rod you were right !!!!!!!! crank shaft position sensor no good and the crank pulley was broken too, causing damage the crank position sensor ,I will replace tomorrow. keep in touch thanks

Add your comment to this topic!